VOGONS

First post, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Again.
Just today I got Dosbox on Ubuntu KDE. I used writeconf to create a configuration file ( it was not there), and modified it. I modified the ipx and autolock. When I save and go back onto dosbox, I try a game. It works perfectly, but the mouse is still in autolock. What is wrong?

Thx, DOSBOXXER101

DOSBOXER101

Reply 2 of 8, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not sure what cfg is, but I can probably tell you what I did.
1. On the terminal/konsole, I typed in sudo apt-get install Dosbox
2. Then, once I finished, I created a c: directory using mkdir -p ~/dos
3. I had the directory ready, so I decided to look for dosbox.conf, but it was not there, so I created a new file with config -writeconf dosbox.conf.
4. I modeled it to autolock=false, ipx=true, and cycles=max. Then I saved it and closed it, putting it into my dos folder.
5. I went onto dosbox to try it out on Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal.
6. It still does not work.

DOSBOXER101

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Cfg, short for config.
Anyway, when you start Dosbox in terminal, there is additional information printed. Please copy/paste this. Also tell us where your conf file is on your machine.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It shows the intro, like when you type in COMMAND.COM, and it says after:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6
Z:\>

and that is it. Also, the conf file is created in my home page (where the computer goes to when you open the files manager), so I moved it into my dos file.

DOSBOXER101

Reply 6 of 8, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed the problem. 😀
The problem is when you create/recreate the conf file, you leave it at where it is created at, not moving it to another folder. Thanks for helping me!

DOSBOXER101

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he, that's something you need to keep in mind for most software 😉 setting files cannot be moved around at will unless there is a way to specify the new location 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DOSBOXER101 wrote:

Just today I got Dosbox on Ubuntu KDE. I used writeconf to create a configuration file ( it was not there)...

3. I had the directory ready, so I decided to look for dosbox.conf, but it was not there, so I created a new file with config -writeconf dosbox.conf.

It's not called dosbox.conf on Linux. The name includes the version number.
For example mine was called dosbox-0.74.conf
If you searched specifically for "dosbox.conf" it won't show up.

When I installed DOSBox on Linux Mint KDE, it put the dosbox-0.74.conf file inside a hidden directory (.dosbox) inside my user's home directory. So

/home/<username>/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf

You have to "display hidden" in order to see the .dosbox directory if you're using a file browser (Dolphin or Konqueror or whatever your OS uses).