VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Changrey

User metadata

Hi, I just started using DosBox and don't really know much about it.

I'm trying to get an old Win98 game (X-Com Apocalypse) to run, but it can't switch to the directory.

I've mounted the game folder as C: and can switch to the C-drive just fine (in DOSBox), but when I try to activate the folder with the 'cd XCOMA' (XCOMA being the name of the directory specified as C-drive) command I just get a "Unable to change to: XCOMA"

Going by the Pictorial guide in the DOSBox guide forum, I should be playing and messing with the CPU cycles and whatnot... So, any idea why I can't access the folder? The entire process have been followed to the letter in the Pictorial guide.

Here's my specs in case it helps...
WinXP Pro
AMD Athlon XP 1500+
1.3Ghz
768 DDR RAM
Radeon 9600Pro Sapphire graphics card
[/i]

Reply 2 of 5, by Changrey

User metadata

And then? Switched the drive around like you said (mounted the whole drive where the directory XCOMA is located instead of the XCOMA folder) ... No effect whatsoever, still get the "Unable to change to XCOMA".

I can practically taste the fact that I'm missing some really really basic thing that I haven't done... but with my own (very limited) knowledge I just don't know. I'll try loking around these forums some more, but if you could post some form of tutorial on the steps to do it I'd be mighty pleased.

Especially since following that guide haven't really helped much so far.

Reply 3 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

nvm, finally figured it out...

Placed the XCOMA folder in another folder called DSGames, which I then mounted as DOSBox's C drive. That allowed me to access the XCOMA folder as I was supposed to. Guess I can't the partition itself, but only folders inside it. Thanks for the suggestion.

hmm... I really should have registered (hate double-posting)...

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CD command = Change Directory.

E.g. mount c c:\
c:\>cd xcoma
c:\xcoma\> You type in more commands here (Remember MS-DOS commands?)

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the solution Changrey came up with is better. It's...safer and cleaner to just give DOSBox access to a subdirectory that has subdirectories in it for each game.