VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Slogra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i really like DOSbox and i love to play the classic games. So a big thanks to all those who made it possible 😀

Now to the subject. I recorded some sound from a FM sound blaster game. I opened the wav in a wave editor where i saw this very strange looking wave:
dosboxwav6tx.th.png
You see, the wav is not around the zero baseline. Especially in the beginning the wave is quite a bit above it. I don't think this is like it should be and it might even be the cause of clipping in the sound.
So I've compared it to a recording from an actual sound blaster 16 and this recording does not have this anomality, so it looks a DOSbox problem.

Maybe someone can take a look at it and maybe find a solution for this.

thx

Reply 2 of 4, by Slogra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mixer settings are like this (i set rate to 44.1kzh and i had to change blocksize to avoid stuttering on my soundcard):
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=4096
prebuffer=10

The sb settings (i already set it to 44.1khz when i exported that wav):
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100

EDIT: i just tried setting the sample rate back to 22050hz but it gives the same problem.

Reply 3 of 4, by Slogra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOH, it looks like it only happens with that song i chose to record. I tried recording some other songs from this game and none of them have this problem. Also all other games don't have this problem.

😵

EDIT: Although it's still strange that a real sb16 does not have this problem with this song. It's a song from a game called Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf. It plays when the Loudness logo appears.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is indeed strange. If it helps, the term for describing what you are seeing is "DC offset". There are no settings in DOSBox that would help this. It could be an issue with the OPL emulation in DOSBox, or with your recording software, or with your sound card on the machine running DOSBox.

If you're not having DOSBox generate the WAV file directly, try that method. See the readme for how to do it.