VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i opened doom in dosbox, opened task manager, and pressed f12 until cpu usage was 100%, which was about 18500 cycles. doom runs very slowly even at this setting. any advice?

amd socket 939 athlon 64 3200+ at ~2.4ghz
768mb (512+256) pc3200 ddr dimm ram
ati radeon 9600se 128mb agp8x
sound blaster pci128 ct4750
gigabyte ga-k8nsc-939 with latest bios

thanks!

-jake

Last edited by iamthejake2000 on 2005-11-12, 02:55. Edited 2 times in total.

OldDoom.com, my Doom (1 & 2) site.

Reply 5 of 13, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the replies! i tried all your suggestions, but nothing's changed. i know about doom ports, but i'd really love to play vanilla doom 😀

-jake

Reply 6 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Plain old boring Doom should run just fine in Windows XP NTVDM...probably with NTVDM SB emulation too if for some strange reason you don't want to use VDMSound.

Never understood people who want to play original Doom without improvements but it's your game and you can do what you want with it. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 13, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

heh, i'm, er, not sure what ntvdm is. i get the feeling it's something i learned a long time ago.

i'd love to use vdmsound, but i can't get it to work.

that was me, i forgot i wasn't logged on 😀

anyway, i looked up ntvdm, and in windows xp home the sound is very messed up in ntvdm, which is why i'd love to get vdmsound working.

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The latest ver of VDMSound is here: VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

Remember that VDMSound uses IRQ7 while NTVDM uses IRQ5

Either create a VDMSound shortcut by right-clicking on doom.exe or just run DOSDRV before executing doom.

Reply 10 of 13, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i made the shortcut and tweaked a lot of settings, but vdmsound simply won't run. it's dos box shows a black screen and that's it. when i enable vesa support, the doom startup console stops at "I_StartupTimer()."

in ntvdm, the midi music's tempo is very high and the sound skips and the game is extremely slow when a sound is playing.

also, about those who play unimproved doom, some of us are just nostalgic 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, forgot about the shortcut then and just surf to the directory via command prompt and then execute "DOSDRV" and type go into setup.exe to setup your sound card, then execute doom.

(just running DOSDRV you don't have to worry about any settings made by the .vlp shortcut that might interfer). For instance, all VESA support does is enable the prompt full-screen by default....which the command prompt will do any way if it detects a graphics mode that is anything other than text mode.

Sounds like you need to play around with the idle sensitivty option in either the VDMSound .vlp shortcut (if you don't want to run DOSDRV manually) or in the command prompt if you wish to use DosDRV.

The above steps are why we like to use ports. 😉 I played Wolf3d and Doom when they first came out and remember being amazed by the graphics quality and interactivity. As far as I'm concerned anything that improves on that is a plus.

Reply 12 of 13, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😜 i'd play a port if one was like the original, the ones that claim to be use sdl, which makes tinny sound, and for some reason doom95 plays sounds too deep.

i tried your suggestion, and the startup screen just stopped at "I_StartupTimer()" again.

thanks for the replies.

-jake

Reply 13 of 13, by iamthejake2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i did some surfing and found that after you change to dynamic cpu, you increase cycles. i thought you just enabled dynamic cpu and that was that. you may want to explain that in-depth next time you run across another moron like me. 😀

anyway, i got vanilla doom running well with dosbox. thanks for your help.

-jake