VOGONS

Common searches

Greek Programs and DOSBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by evilk_venomslegions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear friends hi,

I've recently found out about DOSBox, since I needed an emulator to run some Greek DOS based programs in the accounting area, where I work.

Unfortunately I can't seem to make the program either view or write Greek.
I am running WinXP Professional on a PIV 2.2.

I have tried to change Config.NT to make it load grkeyb.com, but it's not a good solution as the program some times opens and some times doesn't.

Any good advise that I can use? DOSBox is a great solution and I want to work inside this environment, as it's quite easy and recommendable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Evil.K.

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Evil K - weclome to VOGONS.

Please be aware that DOSBox do NOT use Config.NT (or AutoExec.NT for that matter).

Is it correct that you have 2 problems:

1) Getting DOSBox to work correctly with a Greek keyboard?
2) Getting DOSBox to display Greek characters on the screen?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Seems like a little search of the forums would have provided you with a solution to both problems:

Greek character support in programs running in dosbox

Dosbox & Greek

Reply 3 of 7, by evilk_venomslegions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo again,

I have seen both topics but none of them helped me with my problems.

The first one only tells how to adjust your files up to Win 2000 and ME. No solution for XP as there is no Config.sys or autoexec.bat files in XP.

The second topic is more of a same solution for the same versions. Nothing different.

Now I might be mistaken, but if any of the guys involved in this topics runs XP and has managed to make it to both read and write in Greek through DOSBox, I'd be happy to receive instructions on how to do it as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

there is no difference for Dosbox on either Windows 2000, ME or XP.
Dosbox uses its own configuration file (read the README that comes with Dosbox) and doesn't rely on autoexec.bat or config.sys

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
evilk_venomslegions wrote:

Hallo again,

I have seen both topics but none of them helped me with my problems.

Okay. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the problems of getting Greek characters to work in DOSBox. My only experience has been with Danish characters which is Latin-based, not Cyrillic.

You can try what I did: Download the FreeDOS KeyB package and copy KEYB.EXE and the KEYBOARD.SYS files to your DOSBox drive. Next, start KEYB.EXE with the right set of parameters. Something like

C:\> keyb gr,12345 /v /e

Reply 7 of 7, by evilk_venomslegions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kalispera. Nai to dokimasa, alla tipota. Oute diabazei oute grafei. Dokimasa kai alles patentes alla xoris epitixia. Thelo na trekso logistika programmata tis Altec kai tis Singular pou einai DOSika alla epeidi einai palia versions mou dinoun runtime error sta xp. Kathe voitheia dekti. Efxaristo