VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After using 0.70 for some time, I've discovered a number of problems that have been coming up again and again that I cannot reproduce in 0.65 (Windows, I'm yet to try 0.70 Linux)...

* Sound - a lot of games seem to suffer from stuttery sound, to the point where I'm forced to up the prebuffer and block size so much that the sound lags too much. The most prominent examples of this are Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies (where I cannot get stable sound under 0.70, but I can under 0.65) but the lag with the default settings of 2048/10 seem to be unusable. Going below that causes a lot of stutter.

* Keyboard issues - this comes up occasionally in some games, but it's most notable in the sound config program by Miles (games like Blam! Machinehead and X-Men: Children of the Atom, as well as a lot of others post-1992). The menu seems to want to control itself, but I'm not actually sure what is controlling the keyboard. I've tried this with the CVS DOSBox from 22.1.2007 and it does the same, but 0.65 does not.

Thankfully I can get around the keyboard issue thanks to DBGL (with the Setup With... option) but its still a couple of bugs that seem to have been introduced into the codebase. Is this known?

Thanks,
J

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for sound, do you know that DOSBox 0.70 defaults to core=auto and cycles=auto? You may need to override those values for certain games.

As for keyboard, I haven't had any problems so far (knock on wood).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 10, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using DBGL for which I've modified my templates to set a specific core and cycle count. Core is always normal except for anything that goes over 18000 cycles a second where I use dynamic because my poor ickle Athlon 2400 can't handle anything above that - but using both core types I get the same problem. Cycles similar - although for some more demanding games I set it to max where the sound lag gets worse. Being a largely untested feature this is only to be expected.

I might give the more recent CVS build a try and see if that helps.

Reply 3 of 10, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I've just tested the CVS from 25th March and it happens there too. If anyone has a game that uses the Miles Sound System configuration program (the popular one with the purple and blue windows on a grey background; there's load of them that use it) - please test it with 0.70 and the Daum Café build and let me know if you also have problems with it.

BTW, the Daum Café builds report two false positives on some virus scanners, zlib1.dll reports being a Trojan (wherever I download it from, it reports that) and 3dfxSpl2.dll is judged to be a virus from results of heuristic tests.

Reply 4 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but its still a couple of bugs that seem to have been introduced
into the codebase. Is this known?

Yes, of course this is known, somebody has to code those bugs in the end.
Use 0.65 if that works better for you.

Reply 5 of 10, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

zlib1.dll reports being a Trojan (wherever I download it from, it reports that) and 3dfxSpl2.dll is judged to be a virus from results of heuristic tests

That's wrong. The dlls are packed by ASPack or UPX (exe compressor), and some scanners make a wrong diagnosis because of that. Try another antivirus software.

Reply 6 of 10, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what I meant by false positive. In any case I've been using zlib1.dll with other programs and the problem only came up today so it's to do with the current virus def file.

Reply 7 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Which virus scanner? (i'm rather sure it's a false positive but didn't test it)

About speed: did you go through the troubleshoot section of the readme?
If everything in there didn't help change the SDL_VIDEODRIVER env var
and play with the priority values of dosbox.conf

Reply 8 of 10, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The issue with the Miles config programs has been discussed here and there these latest weeks. It's really annoying, but it has a workaround: they don't crash if you use MOUSE ONLY to select the correct options.

About sound stuttering, I haven't found such a problem in the Windows build.

Reply 9 of 10, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have - like I alread wrote in another thread.

Problem is, that automatic cycle setting don't work for me very well, but with manual setting the problems like audio stuttering stop.

Reply 10 of 10, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which virus scanner? (i'm rather sure it's a false positive but didn't test it)

Avira AntiVir - I've been selecting ignore for it and don't seem to be suffering any problems thus far.