Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1120 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.9.1 RC 2 release", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please made, an option to = create all GameData directory.

---

Files to download
D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.2 release candidate 1

Your Beta Download section, must display Release Candidate 2.

---

Reply 1122 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.9.1 RC 2 release", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just found a bug.

= When i run a shortcut of D-Fend Reloaded from the desktop, D-Fend Reloaded is in foreground.

But if i run the same shortcut, in an other place of the desktop, it made D-Fend Reloaded is in foreground.

Also if i run "D-Fend Reloaded Portable.exe", it made D-Fend Reloaded is in background. Even if i have used the option, maximize the D-Fend Reloaded window, inside D-Fend Reloaded option, it made that background problem.

Even that, sometime, 2 windows of D-Fend Reloaded, is opened in background and in the taskbar, ... Probably a Windows 7 related problem.

See files included, ...

If you want, i can explain further, ...
---

Attachments

• Filename
    BackgroundBug.jpg
    File size
    119.59 KiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1123 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Neville:
I haven't added any new language strings since D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.0beta2. The string list will be frozen until I start working on DFR 1.0. So from my side there is no need to change anything at the moment. If you have found any typos in your language file and want them to be corrected, of course I can add an updated Spanish language file if you want me to. (But again: From my side everything is fine at the moment.)

@sst:
I will look at this tomorrow.

Reply 1124 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
Again about selecting games with multivalued fields. For user defined fileds - still no effect. For example sel 'License' to smth like 'GPL;Demo'.

And may you explain on what basis have you removed some keyboard layouts. Most of them had necessary data in DOSBox.

Reply 1126 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alexander wrote:

@Neville:
I haven't added any new language strings since D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.0beta2. The string list will be frozen until I start working on DFR 1.0. So from my side there is no need to change anything at the moment. If you have found any typos in your language file and want them to be corrected, of course I can add an updated Spanish language file if you want me to. (But again: From my side everything is fine at the moment.)

Good to hear that. I'll wait to the next official release, then. I know we have discussed this before, but for some reason I can't remember when I worked on my language file for the last time, and I assumed changes had been made in the interim.

Reply 1127 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

can you give one example? 😀

DOSBox 0.73 has data from files keyboard.sys, keybrd2.sys, keybrd3.sys
So any layout defined in these files may be setted in DOSBox. E.g. Ukrainian, Armenian, Japan

Reply 1129 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

and how to set it in d-fend? Ukraine for example.

In D-Fend select 'Ukraine (UA)' and code page 866 (Ukraine was in default values)
In DOSBox:
keyb ua 866
keyb ua 808
keyb ua 848 c:\freedsos\ega4.cpi
(In the last example external codepage file needed, only codepages from ega.cpi, ega3.cpi and ega5.cpi are built in DOSBox and you may omit them in keyb command. Files ega-ega10 are in Freedos directory under D-Fend installation).

Reply 1130 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@sst:
The service page of the setup dialog in 0.9.1 will have two hidden buttons to create capture and game data folders for all games. In 1.0 (when language string freeze is over) this buttons will become regular new functions.

I cannot confirm your "program goes to background" problem yet. Perhaps it is due to Windows 7 (I'm testing under Vista here). May be the update checker causes the problem. If you have set the update checker to run on each start of DFR right after start up the UpdateCheck.exe is launched. If the update checker does not find any new version it terminates immediately (but may be steals focus from the DFR main window) and may be Windows 7 then forgets to bring the main window to the foreground. Could you please check if your update check interval is set to "on each start of DFR" and if yes select some longer interval and retest.

@skatz:
I forgot to use the multivalue compatible compare function on the user keys. Now it should work.

About the keyboard layouts: This is a bit more complex. In later days a thought I read somewhere all layouts from FreeDOS (keyboard.sys, keybrd2.sys, keybrd3.sys) were supported by DOSBox. So I took the list from FreeDOS and used this as DFR default values. But some day robertmo told me this was wrong; only the layouts listed at his guide (Keyboard layouts) were supported by DOSBox. I still don't understand the concept of this <Name><Nr> layouts completely. For me for example "keyb gr" works fine but from "gr129" and "gr453" only one is working as expected, so from my point of view having this <Name><Nr> layouts is no advantage. (The 129 and the 453 is not the codepage. This is 437 in both cases.) And now after many PMs, forum entries etc. I really have no idea anymore what's right. At the moment I'm thinking about just going back to the 0.9.0 default values for 0.9.1 which would make everyone happy except robertmo. If we really need some codepage to cpi file matching etc. this would require a complete redesign of the keyboard layout / codepage system in DFR and is a to big thing for this little 0.9.1 bugfix release.

Reply 1131 of 2280, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tried to make a complete list of keyboard layouts built into dosbox (without the need to load any external files). There are quite a lot of them. Tthanks to your change in d-fend rc and resulting skatz post i know that my list is far from complete.

And my list is not complete cause some keyboard layouts doesn't automatically load default codepage in dosbox. I don't know why keyb ua doesn't load its codepage, while keyb ru automatically loads codepage 808. skatz do you have any suspicion why no codepage was set to load automatically with keyb ua in dosbox? Are 808 and 866 correct for that layout?

Alexander many countries have more than one keyboard layout - some of them are presented here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx - and on that page you can see differences between them even after swiching "alt gr" or "shift" or both. Different layouts can use the same codepage (codepage just has to contain all the characters that the language uses). The layout you choose decides how to arrange those characters on the keyboard. And you have to find/choose a layout that matches characters painted on your keyboard buttons.

Reply 1132 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, robertmo!
Ukrainian layout has default codepage - 848. But it does not lay in preloaded cpi(cpx) file. It is in ega4.cpx and only ega, ega3 and ega5 are preloaded. So you should specify codepage file manually. There is another solution: put proper cpi/cpx file in the current directory when running dosbox (for D-Fend it is simply DOSBOX dir) and it will be grabbed automatically. For Russian layout default is 866 in ega3 so it is found without any manipulations.
BTW, for Ukrainian you may use 866 also. I has all necessary letters except only one. And, of course, if you have your text in that codepage.

About builded in DOSBox data: you may found it at FreeDOS site - packages
kpdos25x(http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … ld/kpdos25x.zip) and cpidos12(http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … ld/cpidos12.zip).
Keyboard layouts are the same as in D-Fend installation in folder FREEDOS and cpis as in folder FREEDOS\CPI. Files ega*.cpx in FREEDOS folder are from package cpidos21.zip. In documentation for kpdos25x all references to ega* files are made for that package. So they may be slightly inconsistent with data in DOSBox.

Reply 1134 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, this is the keyboard layouts list I'm goiing to use in D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.1rc3. It includes the newly added layouts from robertmos list but only the letter codes like "GR" and not the letter+number codes like "GR129". We can discuss this letter+number codes for DFR 1.0 but not for 0.9.1. From my point of view the current solution is working so there is no need to fix anything in the 0.9.1 release. Additionally all of this has a low priority for me. This means if you tell me exactly what you want (including the new default layouts to be used in the DFR language files etc.) I will change the list. But for a "Find out what I mean and want" this is not important enough for me.

Reply 1135 of 2280, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok, so here is exactly how it should look like. I have removed all doubled entries, corrected your mistakes and alphabetical order. It will work with D-Fend and language files without changing anything in D-Fend or language files. I added a possibility to choose "none" keyboard layout.

Attachments

• Filename
    keyboards.txt
    File size
    1.55 KiB
    Downloads
    257 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by robertmo on 2010-01-31, 21:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1136 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alexander!
And my two cents:
please change codepage defaults to

default,437,850,858,852,853,857,771,772,855,872,866,808,737,851,869

These are all codepages that may be used in DOSBox without loading any external files. I've removed pages 860(Portugal), 863(Canadian French) and 865(Nordic) because they need external file which cannot be specified by current D-Fend interface.

Reply 1137 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I cannot confirm your "program goes to background" problem yet. Perhaps it is due to Windows 7 (I'm testing under Vista here). May be the update checker causes the problem. If you have set the update checker to run on each start of DFR right after start up the UpdateCheck.exe is launched. If the update checker does not find any new version it terminates immediately (but may be steals focus from the DFR main window) and may be Windows 7 then forgets to bring the main window to the foreground. Could you please check if your update check interval is set to "on each start of DFR" and if yes select some longer interval and retest.

Respond =

I have try to "not set the update checker to run on each start of DFR" and DFR go "Foreground".

I have try to "set the update checker to run on each start of DFR" and DFR go "Background".

---

Reply 1138 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi robertmo and skatz,
thank you, that's what I wanted to have. I have just added the new keyboard layouts and codepages default value lists to DFR. I'm planning to release 0.9.1rc3 beginning of next week and then if everything is fine with rc3 the final version of 0.9.1 only a short time later.

DFR 0.9.1 and even more 0.9.2 also will include most of the key features of 1.0 as hidden functions because I want to have more time for beta testing and so I want to become feature complete as early as possible. The next major release is going to be "1.0". This version should really become good.

Hi sst,
ok, it looks like it's the update checker. There is nothing I can do in 0.9.x but I will improve the whole update process in 1.0. Because DFR can download files itself now (needed for the package manager) UpdateCheck.exe is not really needed anymore for checking for updates. DFR 1.0 will use some internal update checker (for downloading and processing the UpdateInfo.txt) and will only call UpdateCheck.exe for the real update process.

Reply 1139 of 2280, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

This works fine using the 0.73 release.

no it doesn't. it is a dosbox bug. Type:
keyb tr
keyb tr 437
and you will see the buggy message

Alexander although i think this logic is not needed as dosbox automatically tries to set 437 where it can. wd should confirm whether he manually set it to particular layouts only, or tries to set it to every layout.