VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 740 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can add the resolution to DFR all by yourself.

as mandark0 wrote:
"in the program options under "profile editor" > "default values" (with "mode" set to "advanced")" You can add resolution You need.

I join the 'petition' to add the default 320x240 resolution for DFR:)

Reply 743 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alexander, I have two small requests for next release. Among the options that can be edited in multiple profiles at once, could you add these two?

- Installation of DOSBox to be used (to make sure no profile uses a version that is about to be uninstalled and to simplify making DFR installations portable)

- Gravis UltraSound emulation on / off. I recently found out I wasn't getting any sound with "Quake" because of GUS emulation was active ad it prevented "Quake" to aurtodetect the Sound Blaster. Plus I'm told GUS emulation is no longer active by default since v0,.73.

Reply 744 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

some good news: I have finished the work on the demos package. I will upload it the next days. It will contain 119 demos from http://pain.scene.org/ (old demos package: only two demos). And I have started working on D-Fend Reloaded 0.8. In the next version I will try to improve the auto setup handling (more checksums per template to improve game detection, better results dialog when scanning the games folder, option to choose the template to use when importing plain zip files, etc.). And of course the next version will bring full DOSBox 0.73 support.

To answer some of the last posts:

Running DOS games from DFR without DOSBox
When adding games in "Windows game" mode via the wizard or via the full profile editor DFR will warn the user if he trys to add a DOS program this way. If the user ignores this warning and continues anyway there is nothing I can do. (BTW: DFR also warns the user if he selects a Windows exe when editing a DOSBox profile. - This should reduce the "What does 'This program can not be run in DOS mode.' mean?" forum questions.)

Empty line in games list
If you resize the DFR window you will see the empty area at the bottom of the games list getting bigger and smaller. It appears because the games list always starts at the begining of a line and the list only displays complete lines. The empty data area is also right: If you click the empty area in the games list you unselect any profile and if no profile is selected there is nothing to show there.

320x240 resolution
I will add this to the default values list offered by default.

More options in multiple profiles editor
-> Added to my 0.8 todo.

One request from me
As I have already written some time ago:

D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 will also bring a better image scaling algorithm for screenshots (games list in screenshot mode, image previewer are and image viewer dialog). You can already test some different scaling algorithms by adding the line "ImageFilter=..." to the [ProgramSets] section in DFend.ini. Valid values are 0 to 8. "0" is off (the default in DFR 0.7), "1" is a very slow and simple scaling algorithm (using the pixel property to access the pixels) and "2" to "8" are some fast, more advanced fiters directly accessing the image scanlines. At the moment I'm not sure if I will offer an option to change the image scaler or just setup the best for use in 0.8. So please tell me which one is working well for you.

Could you please test the different scaling modes and tell me which is the best for you?

Reply 745 of 2280, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander!D-Fend Reloaded v.0.8.0 is needed sooner as expected 😀 You see, the new supported graphic-modes ( the simple vga support was simply not enough any more) and the improved core emulation mode are making the release of the new d-fend reloaded version more than necessary. It will be such as great as every d-fend reloaded version and as DOSBox 0.73 😀 That's for sure!!!!

Reply 746 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While Alexander prepares DFR v0.8.0, you can continue using latest version. All you have to do is to edit the "default values" and enter the new videocard settings:

dfr.th.png

After that, if you want, you can migrate your existing profiles by multiple editing the videocard value and changing it into "svga_s3", except for CGA games.

Reply 748 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

I have added many new things to the multiple profiles editor just today (SoundBlaster, GUS, MIDI, CVS graphics settings and DOSBox installation to use). I have also checked why the pixel shader dropdown box is only offering "none": The profile editor is scanning for
<DOSBoxInstallation>\Shaders\*.fx
files and offers them in this dropdown box. If there are no shaders, only "none" is selectable. And because the list of selectable shaders depends on the DOSBox installation that is selected for the profile I'm not going to add a shader setting in the multiple profiles editor.

BTW: I have decided to make a "DFR with DOSBox 0.73" release as soon as possible. I have moved some of my plans for DFR 0.8 to DFR 0.9 so we can hopefully have a first beta of DFR 0.8 in about two weeks.

Reply 749 of 2280, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's great news Alexander. I already use DOSBox 0.73 with D-Fend Reloaded 0.7.0 and it is fully co-operative. I added with the profile editor the new graphic modes the way Neville described above and everything is ok!

Reply 750 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
Some notes about customizable icons (if you already know that, sorry):

1. In main form add profile button dropdown menu (AddButtonPopupMenu ) has no image list setted - hence no icons in menu.
And may you popup it under button, instead of at cursor position?

2. In main form in Data Folder page (ViewFilesFrameUnit ) context menu has wrong icon: DI_Clear instead of DI_Delete.

3.In Setup form 'Restore default values' button (in bottom window part) has the same default icon as button on 'Default values' page. But when loading from iconset, it uses 'restore' icon from dialogs section (not from setup section) and appears as buttons under 'Service' page.

4.Suggustion: general buttons (Ok,Cancel, Help): may you make them customizable too?

Reply 751 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi tsampikos,
there are some more changes in the conf files from DOSBox 0.72 to 0.73. For example the option to set the cpu cycles to a fixed value may not work with DFR 0.7 and DOSBox 0.73. There are also some changes in the conf keys for SoundBlaster, GUS and MIDI. So you may experience some more problems. I will add a little "DFR 0.7 with DOSBox 0.73" howto the next days to the DFR homepage.

Hi skatz,
thank you, I will look at this the next days. About customizing the general buttons: With out looking at the source I would say spontaneously I do not know how to exchange them. Making the titles of the message dialogs translateable already was quite tricky. I would guess exchanging the button images in message boxes would also require some resource loading hack.

Reply 752 of 2280, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that there are many changes 😀 But the grafics-issue was the most important i think.The cycles worked fine for me in the games that i tested, sound too. I also tested other games which run problematically with older versions of DOSBox and they run like a charme with D-Fend Reloaded and DOSBox 0.73.I would say D-Fend reloaded is "doing the job fine", till the new D-Fend Reloaded version comes out. 😀 😉 Of course they are not 100% compatible to each other but that doesn't mean that the situation is messed up.A "how to" chapter is a great Idea Alexander!

Reply 753 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again, Alexander!
For general buttons you may simply set TBitBtn kind to bkCustom (if you have something to load). If before that you set Kind to proper value (bkHelp, etc) than Caption,Default&Cancel properties are already set as you need.

Reply 754 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@tsampikos:
Sound works because it is one by default in DOSBox. But for example turning off SB support might not work with DFR 0.7 and DOSBox 0.73.

@skatz:
In normal dialogs, of course. But I mean the MessageDlgs where I have no direct access to the buttons.

Reply 756 of 2280, by lozkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I have just bought a new PC, and wondered if there was an easy way of transferring all of my games and settings from d-fend reloaded on my old pc to d-fend reloaded on my new pc?

thanks

Reply 757 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes there is an easy way:

• Select "Build archive file packages for multiple games" from the "Extras" menu, select all games to be transfered and select a folder where the zip files should be stored.
  • Transfer the zip files to your new computer.
  • Install D-Fend Reloaded on your new computer.
  • Grab the zip files on the new computer in an Explorer windows and drag them to the D-Fend Reloaded program window.
  • Optional: If you want the settings to be the same copy the DFend.ini and the ConfOpt.dat from the Settings subdirectory of the D-Fend Reloaded data directory (usualy C:\Users\<you>\D-Fend Reloaded) to the Settings directory on the new computer. (Attention 1: You may need to change some path names in the DFend.ini if you do this., Attention 2: D-Fend Reloaded should not run while copying the setup file otherwise it could ignore the file and overwrite it on exit with the settings from memory.)

If you want to transfer games from a local installation to a portable installation (or in the other direction): See "Transfer profiles" from the "Extras" menu. This function can transfer games between different installations on the same computer. (And it can optionally also create a portable installation somewhere before transfering the games.)

Reply 758 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, thanks Alexander for the AWESOME replacement for D-Fend. 😁 It's reinvigorated my interest in all of my old DOS games again. You fixed the major problem I had with the old D-Fend, which was not being able to transfer profiles from old installations to new ones. Now that game packages can be created with their own installers DFR is my new favorite. Again, thanks!

Now, I've been searching the Internet for days for old DOS game icons and have only found small packs, user-made and old original packs for specific games here and there. I've also found many Repositories of new icons for new games and Vista icons.

Here's my question... Does anyone know of an online repository of old icons for DOS games that could be used with DFR?

Thanks.

Reply 759 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, since we're talking about DOS games, very few had original icons. We (D-FR and DOSbox users) could gather up and make our own icons for the games we own and like. Then, maybe, we can put them up together and make something of a DOS games' icon repository.

30427.png