VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wolfenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to reset it, I found this post

I think I screwed up my DOSbox - help!

and permanently deleted it after the first reply told me to do so, the instructions to getting it back made absolutely no sense, I was hopeless so just uninstalled my Dosbox and reinstalled it with the installer I had kept, I knew that the config file appears when you first start DosBox, I started Dosbox, it didn't appear. So I'm hopeless. I heard something about going to \Documents and Settings\UserName\Local settings\Application Data\ but I couldn't find Documents and Settings in Windows Vista and searching for it took about 5 minutes and only yielded results for files.

You can curse me out and call me an asshole, but is this bullshit or is this bullshit?

Thanks for helping me,

Wolfenstein

Last edited by Wolfenstein on 2011-01-30, 02:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Wolfenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's an option in the Start Menu to reset it.

And that was my problem to begin with. WHAT Start Menu? You mean the button on the lower-left corner of the screen? Or the batch file in the DosBox folder? I tried that...Or is it something in DosBox? Please, be more specific.

Reply 3 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wolfenstein wrote:

WHAT Start Menu? You mean the button on the lower-left corner of the screen?

You call yourself "Wolfenstein" and you don't know what the biggest windows feature since 1995 is? Then again, it was since Vista that Microsoft took out the 'this is the start menu click here' scrolling arrow tip on the task bar....

It's in the Options folder in the DOSBox folder in the Start Menu. Please be more observant

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 8, by Wolfenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope this is a freaking joke. Of course I know what the Smart Menu is, but who makes a folder and only lets you access it in the Start Menu? And not to freaking mention, when I search Dosbox in the Start Menu that folder doesn't show up, I have to scroll through hundreds of folders to find it.

And this useful Options Folder you were talking about? It isn't worth crap. It has three features: DOSBox options, Reset Keymapper, and Reset Options. Oh gee, wouldn't THAT have been nice had those three Batch Files not already been blatantly placed into the main DOSBox folder! As if I didn't try that! And not to mention that I DID say I had tried the batch file! So sorry for being such an idiot! Ich rufe mich Wolfenstein, wenn ich will!

Reply 5 of 8, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I just typed "rese" on Windows' 7 Start menu and the first option to pop up is DosBox's Reset Options...so...besides your shitty attitude, you don't seem to be all that bright either, yet you still expect help.
Perhaps if you actually bothered to read the documentation, you wouldn't look like such an ass.

Reply 6 of 8, by Wolfenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look, please, just leave me alone...This is the only place on the internet that I can ask questions like this, so I can't get banned and I just need help...I didn't start any of this. I just said I had a problem, someone wasn't specific enough, I politely asked them to be more specific, then someone else butts in and basically calls me an idiot, "You call yourself 'Wolfenstein' and you don't know what the biggest windows feature since 1995 is? Then again, it was since Vista that Microsoft took out the 'this is the start menu click here' scrolling arrow tip on the task bar..." I retaliate and explain that all he said was to execute the Batch File which I already had done and which I already said I had done, then someone else butts in, and doesn't even make any attempt to help me but rather uses his time to just flat out insult me. That isn't biased, that's really exactly what happened. Can someone please, just please, help me get the config file back!? PLEASE for the love of god!? I uninstalled DosBox, reinstalled it, did the 3 Batch Files a MILLION TIMES (The batch files in that damn options folder are the SAME ones in the regular ass DosBox folder) Opened DosBox up a million times, what's left!? There must be some evil, hidden file somewhere, but where!? Why are you people provoking me? Are you trying to get me banned? Just go away and accept that I'm new to computers and just need simple, step by step instructions! Is this really so hard!?

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So what is your actual problem now? I mean what is your goal or what doesn't work? You found the folder and there you can reset or change the config. When you click on the change/edit config (or whatever this is called) CAN you edit it? If you can then you have a config file.
Please also read the readme that comes with dosbox (probably also in the start menu dosbox folder). It will tell you where the config is stored and how to make a new one. The dosbox team can't put the config file into the program folder anymore since that doesn't work well for most users running Vista or w7. That's why the config is stored in your user space.
You seem to me like you would be better off using a frontend, foe example "dosbox reloaded".
As for the back and forth offensive stuff, take a hard look at your initial post and you'll see why this quickly turned bad. We are very protective of dosbox and we hate it being called bullshit, which you seemed to do.
Also when asking for help give more details, we still don't know what Windows OS you are using...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by Wolfenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that. DosBox is a great program, that last sentence was a mistake to put in but last time I posted about a problem, the backlash was very, uh, aggressive. I don't mean to type like I do, honestly. It comes out looking angrier than I actually intend it to be, this is just a very frustrating program, I have a love-hate relationship with it, and quite frankly a GUI would be nice, after all, it is an emulator.

My problem was this: I just wanted a fresh, new config file. Another topic had a post from a clearly experienced user saying the first step was to delete the config file. The config file was IN my DosBox folder with everything else, and I permanently deleted it. Then, of course, all of the preceding steps made no sense to me.

Go to the path you see in the DOSBox Status Window and delete the "dosbox-0.73.conf".

Then when you do "Edit Configuration" in the Start Menu for DOSBox it will create a new DOSBox.conf.

I know what the Start Menu is...I just didn't understand that there was a special folder for the Start Menu...I hope you understand my aggravation now..."YOU CALL YOURSELF WOLFENSTEIN!? YOU'RE NOT VERY BRIGHT!!!" And not to mention what he was pointing to, this Options folder in the Start Menu, was just a collection of the three batch files which I already had tried. And I STILL have no idea what a status window is...OH WAIT, It's that other window that appears alongside DosBox! And there's the path to the config file! I found it!!! Don't you hate it when you discover something mid-sentence? And I STILL have no idea why it was in the regular folder the first time...

RESOLVED

I apologize for making it seem like I was insulting the program...The developers are really some of the best people around for taking their time, for free, to let us relieve the glory days of DOS...I'm sorry to those who were offended and thank you to those who tried to/did help me.