VOGONS

Common searches


First post, by Yengoshi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I've been trying to get my Xbox 360 Controller working with DOS Box. I can get it so that fire works with the A button but it seems to get confused with the analog stick for movement. (I'll set the analog stick to move left = left in the games options, and it seems to move down or to the right instead.)

I then moved into the mapper on DOSBox (I had to install a new installation of Dosbox as I use D-Fend Reloaded to launch the games and the version that is included didn't seem to want to save the mapper changes. After changing the control options in the mapper, I assumed that if I set the games options to keyboard and used the same buttons I had changed to the controller in the mapper then it would use the controller but it doesn't.

I've also tried all the joystick types.

Anyone got any ideas? (sorry if the post is a bit confusing.)

Reply 3 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a DosBox build with specific Xbox-360 controller support (via TraxxAmigaEP's patch to use the POV hat), if you want to give it a try...though the controller works fine for me when using either the xbox 360 option or the default dosbox joystick option.
It also includes MT-32 emulation; Glide support, and Gulikoza's Direct3D patch, it is based off the latest (as of right now) SVN code.
It's optimized for SSE2.
You can download it here:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=96AD29F19839D999!390

Last edited by bloodbat on 2012-11-24, 11:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use D-Fend Reloaded as a front-end and my controller options are never ignored, make sure you use a recent D-Fend Reloaded, though, just in case it's a bug in that program, if you're referring to mapper files, there's a an option in the "keyboard" section of D-Fend Reloaded to load a custom one.

Reply 6 of 15, by Yengoshi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

How do you get D-Fend to see the one from the custom DosBox? As the custom one didn't create it and the only one I have is in a .map file which D-Fender doesnt see. Also do I disable the joystick on D-Fender?

Reply 7 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to create one using the DosBox internal editor (vanilla, custom, the one included with D-Fend, doesn't matter which).
Don't disable the joystick, I'd advise going through the included .conf file and reading the options; adding the option to D-Fend Reloaded's joystick section: "xbox360" (no quotes) OR using a .conf file with:

joysticktype=xbox360

Reply 8 of 15, by Yengoshi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
bloodbat wrote:
You need to create one using the DosBox internal editor (vanilla, custom, the one included with D-Fend, doesn't matter which). D […]
Show full quote

You need to create one using the DosBox internal editor (vanilla, custom, the one included with D-Fend, doesn't matter which).
Don't disable the joystick, I'd advise going through the included .conf file and reading the options; adding the option to D-Fend Reloaded's joystick section: "xbox360" (no quotes) OR using a .conf file with:

joysticktype=xbox360

How would I do this with D-Fender? (I'm a newbie.)

Reply 9 of 15, by yannara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

In C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf I set joysticktype=xbox360 but no help. We are trying to get Mortal Kombat 2 and Trilogy to work with Xbox, but no chance. The setup does not feel any keys from controller pressed.

Fan of Doom, Mortal Kombat, Duke, Blood

Reply 10 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How would I do this with D-Fender? (I'm a newbie.)

File -> Program Options

Profile Editor -> Default Values

Category: (DosBox) Joystick

and add a line that reads xbox360

After clicking "Ok" it should be available to select in the profile editor.

In C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf I set joysticktype=xbox360 but no help. We are trying to get Mortal Kombat 2 and Trilogy to work with Xbox, but no chance. The setup does not feel any keys from controller pressed.

Ok, first and foremost that's vanilla DosBox's .conf file and xbox360 is not a valid joystick type, the build I offered for download includes its own dosbox.conf you can edit in the folder produced when uncompressed, if looking for the .conf file in \appdata\local\dosbox the file name for my build (in case I forgot to add a default .conf or you deleted it) is "dosbox-SVN 3802.conf" minus the quotes.
MK II and Trilogy supported Gravis Gamepad, that is it will only detect 4 buttons, so, for a more complete experience I recommend using an app such as joytokey to map joystick input to keyboard and get all the buttons working as they should.
I've never had any problems using any DosBox version with my 360 controller when it comes to button detection, so, first I'd check if Windows is detecting the controller and install microsoft's drivers for it if I haven't done so, what's the output of the status window? Mine (using official, stable and vanilla DosBox) reads like the attached image.

Attachments

  • dosboxvanillaxbox.png
    Filename
    dosboxvanillaxbox.png
    File size
    32.92 KiB
    Views
    6702 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 15, by Yengoshi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
bloodbat wrote:
File -> Program Options […]
Show full quote

How would I do this with D-Fender? (I'm a newbie.)

File -> Program Options

Profile Editor -> Default Values

Category: (DosBox) Joystick

and add a line that reads xbox360

After clicking "Ok" it should be available to select in the profile editor.

Ok my custom xboxcontoller now shows in D-Fender under joystick options. The game still isnt working with it. And D-Fender isnt seeing the custom map file from DOSBox?

Reply 12 of 15, by yannara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
bloodbat wrote:

Ok, first and foremost that's vanilla DosBox's .conf file and xbox360 is not a valid joystick type, the build I offered for download includes its own dosbox.conf you can edit in the folder produced when uncompressed, if looking for the .conf file in \appdata\local\dosbox the file name for my build (in case I forgot to add a default .conf or you deleted it) is "dosbox-SVN 3802.conf" minus the quotes.
MK II and Trilogy supported Gravis Gamepad, that is it will only detect 4 buttons, so, for a more complete experience I recommend using an app such as joytokey to map joystick input to keyboard and get all the buttons working as they should.
I've never had any problems using any DosBox version with my 360 controller when it comes to button detection, so, first I'd check if Windows is detecting the controller and install microsoft's drivers for it if I haven't done so, what's the output of the status window? Mine (using official, stable and vanilla DosBox) reads like the attached image.

I came back for this just now, after 6 months 😁 but could you release the file again I could download? So your config adds a support for xbox controller?

Fan of Doom, Mortal Kombat, Duke, Blood

Reply 14 of 15, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using the unofficial XBCD 0.2.7 drivers with a wired 360 controller to play OMF 2097 under DosBox 0.74, and it works pretty well. 😁 I can now pull off all sorts of crazy moves that I struggled with just using a keyboard.

It was somewhat difficult to get the unofficial drivers working because I had to dig into my system files to remove remnants of the official Microsoft drivers (along with another unofficial driver I tried that didn't work), but once I got that taken care of and installed the XBCD drivers, they worked perfectly. 😁 I didn't even need to change anything in DosBox's configuration.

Reply 15 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've been using the unofficial XBCD 0.2.7 drivers with a wired 360 controller to play OMF 2097 under DosBox 0.74, and it works pretty well.

There's an alternative 😀
What I do use is the DInput force feedback wrapper (probably has some fancy name, but I don't read japanese 😖)