VOGONS

Common searches

Can't run DOSBox on a HP Split X2, SDL Direct Input Error

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by thumb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need some help. I'm trying to get DOSBox working on my new HP Split X2. DOSBox crashes on launch and throws this error. I pulled it out of the stderr.txt.

Exit to error: Can't init SDL DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters

I'm using DOSBox version 0.74

My system specs are:

Intel Core i3-4010Y CPU 1.30GHz 1.30GHz
4GB ddr3
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Full Windows Touch Support with 10 Touch Points

I'm not sure if that info helps. Just trying to figure this out.

----------

Here's a new clue. My laptop is kind of a convertible tablet thing. I was thinking about what makes my computer different from other Windows 8 machines and that's it. So I detached the keyboard dock and launched it again. It didn't work but it threw a different error!

Exit to error: Can't init SDL DirectInput::CreateDevice: Device not registered.
hope this leads to a solution. I really love DOSBox.

----------

Okay, problem semi-solved. I found some loosely similar questions on the web. Many mentioned issues with their mouse or switching mouses etc. so I plugged a mouse in, my keyboard dock has a touchpad, and bam DOSBox fired up nice and smooth. So it works great when I use a mouse, but I'd like to be able to use it as a tablet without the keyboard dock. Hmmm. My touch screen works inside the game instance. I wish there were a way that that was enough for DOSBox.

I read this post: "Device not registered" error and exit

in there a guy says,"[DOSBox doesn't like touch screens]". But, that's not really it. Once I get DOSBox to launch the touchpad and touch screen work just great. It just won't let me launch without an actual mouse plugged in. I don't know the nuts and bolts but, I wish we could could demand a mouse conditionally based upon the presence or absence of other pointing devices.

Reply 1 of 1, by Chamomile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same issue on Acer Aspire One Switch SW1-011.

Unable to init SDL: Directinputdevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters

It has Windows 10 64-bit. I have the keyboard dock plugged in, but the touchpad on it is dead. Will try it a different one with a working touchpad later to see if that makes a difference. If this is the problem, maybe there's a way to make Dosbox ignore the mouse detection. The error also happens on other SDL games. A shame because this 2-in-1 laptop has a nice 1280x800 (16:10) screen.

edit: Switching to a keyboard dock that has a working touchpad did indeed fix the error for me. 😀