VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by steven_archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Need some help here. Just installed the latest dosbox, but it immediately closes with this error. Using a Samsung Ativ tablet running Windows 8 with an x86 processor.

Error:
" Exit to error: Can't init SDL DirectInput::CreateDevice: Device not registered "

Screenshot of error:
2013-06-07_1050.png

The window immediately closes, it was tricky to get a screenshot.

Reply 3 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
steven_archer wrote:

Using a Samsung Ativ tablet running Windows 8 with an x86 processor.

I have already seen that thread. It was not helpful.

Perhaps that part about DosBox not liking touch devices wasn't all that clear in the thread suggested? If there's some way to turn off S-Pen and all that, you could give it a shot, see if it works.
Make sure ALL your drivers are up to date.

Reply 5 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you'd like to buy the developers a tablet PC suitable for testing?

No? That's a shame.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2013-06-08, 01:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem is that Dosbox needs tobe ported to SDL 2 to make it work better. SDL 1.2x is a dead end now for which few work is done. Small fixes, yes, big fixes (touch interface) no...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 15, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

The problem is that Dosbox needs tobe ported to SDL 2 to make it work better. SDL 1.2x is a dead end now for which few work is done. Small fixes, yes, big fixes (touch interface) no...

I second this. It would require a lot of porting effort, but it would be worth it in the long run.

Reply 10 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Its a shame they can't just fix the software

that kind of attitude will more likely result in flame wars than your issue resolved. Just for your future in other forums...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 15, by VeeRay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought the Acer Iconia W700 which is a Windows 8 tablet and i had the same problem. I'm not a native english speaker, so i'm sorry if there are mistakes in the text.

I found two solution that worked for me.
Solution one was to connect a USB mouse into the device before starting DOSBox and it worked from there with the touchscreen even if I took the USB mouse out of the device. It does require the USB mouse everytime you start DOSBox.

Solution two was to download the D-fend Reloaded frontend and when i started the default Dosbox profile in there I got a "Starting DOSBox failed" messagebox. At the bottom there is a setting for all profiles and there is "SDL videodriver" and it shows Direct X (default). When I click it I can choose "Win DIB" instead and with that setting DOSBox launched normally. I couldn't find that setting anywhere else in the program.

The touchscreen doesn't quite work properly with full screen, but in windowed original size it seems to work (mouse goes where i click on the screen). I haven't had time to test if some setting will improve this. My GoG.com version of Master Of Orion 2 seemed to work with default settings from D-Fend profile wizard (played for 5 minutes).

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks, that is helpful, especially the Windib part.
The Windib setting is something out of the control of dosbox and needs to be set in the environment, for example on the command line and then starting dosbox fom the same command prompt. I think the readme has that written down in more details.
But it is really good to know that D-fend reloaded can do this as well.

Reply 13 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VeeRay wrote:

Solution two was to download the D-fend Reloaded frontend and when i started the default Dosbox profile in there I got a "Starting DOSBox failed" messagebox. At the bottom there is a setting for all profiles and there is "SDL videodriver" and it shows Direct X (default). When I click it I can choose "Win DIB" instead and with that setting DOSBox launched normally. I couldn't find that setting anywhere else in the program.

Because it isn't...it's an environment variable (must be set under Windows or a command prompt).
For future reference, in a command prompt:

set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib

Thanks for the tip 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by VeeRay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have been testing the dosbox a bit more with the tablet and I noticed that the touchscreen only works when Auto lock mouse is on false.
Have been testing on windowed mode with Ctrl + F10 and when it's on the cursor goes all over the place when I click on the screen, but when it's off the cursor goes and clicks precicly where I tap on the screen.

On full-screen the Ctrl + F10 doesn't do anything, so i'm assuming that you can't disable auto lock from full screen? Does anyone know any easy workaround to this? I tried searching google, but I could only find programs that help you lock the mouse on windowed programs.

Reply 15 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have that problem with OpenArena starting up on Nvidia hardware, i'd have to set the videodriver to windib. FOR AN OPENGL GAME.

ugh sdl can't even do basic initialization right.

apsosig.png
long live PCem