Common searches

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, have a question

I use dosbox in windows with a frontend, MALA

Mala is a generic frontend for emulators, i have many emulators, dosbox is just one more. Run in fullscreen, and hide all windows desktop

For now, my PC was working with dosbox 0.72 pefectly, but today i decide to update a little....

Dosbox up to 0.72, works perfect. In the frontend I select the game, dosbox windnows appears for a second, and then goes to fullscreen, and the game start

But in dosbox 0.74, is impossible to do. In the frontend I select the game, dosbox windows appears for a second, and then nothing... dosbox remains in background. I need to do ALT+TAB manually, to go to dosbox

This happen in Dosbox 0.74, and in the latest SVN

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

seems like something you have to discuss with the Mala developers (the config stuff changed since 0.72 I think, both location (not the dosbox program folder anymore) and the name of the config - so that might be part of the problem).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi thanks for reply

Well, in my computer, both 0.72 and 0.74 use the same name for config, dosbox.conf, and are in the same dosbox folder. No big differences about this from 72>74

I will ask in mala forum too, but still looking what can be the change in dosbox that make not going to foreground after opening

I tested in others frontends, and happen the same. Dosbox 0.72 after opening goes to fullscreen, and 0.74 don´t. Dosbox open, but remains in background , not came to foregound, until alt+tab

I tested different builds, unofficial ones, from 0.72 and all work OK, and some unofficial 0.74, like Daum build, and same problem from official 0.74

I know is weird stuff, sorry

And sorry my english

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox wants to look to the %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder for the config file now. To use a different one, specify it with the -conf switch. As Dominus said, you need to use a modern frontend.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks!

Well, my Pentium 3 machine is not good for some frontends, but latest Mala version is from 2013.. not so old, and others frontends I tested, are not too old neither

I use -conf switch, in fact is the way I call for games. I have one config for every game, and in frontend the config to load games "dosbox -conf %1"

Ayways, even if i put the config file in %LocalAppData%\DOSBox, the problem remains same

The problem is random, from 10 times i open a game, maybe 2 or 3 times 0.74 goes to fullscreen correctly, 0.72 always do