VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Moleculor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, apparently something between .60 and .61 changed the way mounting CD drives has changed.

I'm using the same mounting method I've been using since something like 0.57 (namely with "mount e E:\ -t cdrom" and "mount f F:\ -t cdrom") and it worked all the way up to 0.60.

Now, with 0.61 (and a new OS... upgraded from ME to XP, if that makes any difference at all), when I mount drives, it behaves normally, and I can access those drives by typing E: and F: respectively, but when I try to run Millenium (a game that has successfully read the CD in the past in DosBox... sure, it promptly crashed afterwards, but it still read the CD)

Now the game just says that it can't find the CD.

Now, I've already tried reinstalling the game, putting it into the other drive, such things as that... Nada. And this is the -only- game this does this on... Another game, Fragile Allegiance, now works WONDERFULLY in DosBox (and the angels sing AAAAAAAAAAALLELUIA!), 'cept for no mouse detection (so I just have to hit Ctrl+F10), and it never has before, so I'm a happy camper... Just wondered if anyone out there had some tips for this other game.

Reply 2 of 7, by Moleculor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hard crash to desktop, "Fatal Error"somethingsomethingsomethingsomething. I can get the actual error message if you want.

(BTW, you know about the bug involving changing CDs, where it doesn't recognize new CDs properly till you restart DosBox, right?)

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hehe 😀
Well it's not that common to be able to change mounted media 😀
Ask any linux user out there.

Although I thought it worked. As we try to detect media changes. But maybe we misinterpret the information of your system.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

I'm having problems running X-COM: Apocalypse in 0.61 due to CD-ROM errors as well. It used to run well with some pre 0.61 CVS versions. 😢

I have to load some TSR to disable the CD-ROM check. This causes the following problem:

'Exit to error: MSCDEX: Cannot allocate default buffer.'

Then the DOSBox process terminates. BTW, I got that TSR from here:
http://www.xcomufo.com/x3dl.html

It is inside 'xcom3fix.zip'.

Funny thing is if I try to load the game first, let it fail the CD check and exit, then load the TSR and re-run the game it works! 😕