VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to replicate my Tandy 1000TX environment in Dosbox. I've gotten the tandy MSDOS 3.2 boot floppy and it WILL boot successfully, but I'm then unable to mount any other drives.

I assumed this was due to the mount.com and imgmount.com executables not existing on the boot image, but when I copy them over they lock up.

This mounting drives after booting from a floppy image something that should work?

Reply 2 of 11, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, so basically this then:

3. Input these commands into your dosbox.conf file :
imgmount 2 [insert path and file name of hard disk image] -t hdd -fs none -size 512,63,16,1024
boot [insert path and file name of floppy disk images]

Make sure they are the only commands that are active! If you are using the 720KB MS-DOS installation disks, use file names like msdos13.img msdos23.img msdos33.img and put all of them after the boot.

I think that will work for me.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I'm not mistaken, mounting a CD while booting requires the IDE emulation that is only included in DOSBox-X (and builds which include DOSBox-X, like the Daum build).

Reply 5 of 11, by Jack Barrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i forgot to say that im using (x86) DOSBox SVN-Daum Do you have an example?
Imagine this scenario:
imgmount a 622c.img (this image has an MS-DOS bootable disk)
(how to mount the cd)?
boot -l a

booting MS-DOS.....

A:\
Now I want to do
D:
and see my ISO like a CD ROM 😁

thanks

Reply 6 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use Dosbox-x and ask the author for instructions. Daum implemented Dosbox-x but since Daum is slightly broken and Dosbox-x has been developed further since the last Daum release... -> use Dosbox-x 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

ask the author for instructions.

😢

I think there's a readme for DOSBox-X included somewhere in the Daum build distribution, but I keep forgetting where.

Anyway, there's a suitable example in Re: DOSBox-X branch .

Reply 9 of 11, by Coolbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I'm reading the forum and I have a similar issue, I mount two drives but only one is recognized.

Scenario:
DosBox version: DosBox MB6
img file: HDD image form a old PC, (AMD P75, 16MB RAM, 850MB with Windows 95 4.00.950)

Mounting sequence:
mount d c:\dosbox\shared_files
imgmount c c:\dosbox\AMD.vhd
boot -l c

The emulated Windows 95 works fine but d: doesn't appears
How can I solve the issue?
Thanks

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Coolbit wrote:

How can I solve the issue?

You don't. Mounted drive letters are not accessible after an image is booted; you can only access drives mounted using imgmount.

I think someone might have once mentioned that Windows 95 running in DOSBox might be able to access a shared network folder on the host machine, provided you can get Windows 95 networking to function correctly – but really, running Windows 95 in DOSBox is a bad idea to begin with, and you should really use VMware Player (or VirtualBox or Virtual PC or even PCem) for something like that.

Reply 11 of 11, by Coolbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I found a solution using DosBox Daum.

Scenario:

I need to run an application that controls a CNC machine and the application has an issue:
The time that milling motor requires to reach the optimal RPM is timed with a loop instead of timers.
At 486 33MHz works fine but with an Pentium 75MHz appears the issue. The program can be installed in a contemporany computer but the issue is higher.
For that reason I use an old computer without USB support nor network, the only options are CDs, diskettes or null modem.

With DosBox I can control the CPU speed, I'm not familiarized with other VM software.

The solution is to mount the image as another drive on Windows 7 or higher, copy the files and unmount. Then run DosBox.
The next step is to use a shared folder as recomends Jorpho, it's the best option.
Meanwhile I'll use this solution, I wasted too much time to run the original image on a VM. 😠

Thank you for your idea Jorpho 😀