VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by max123xd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i'm using dosbox 0.74 and it's a really fun emulator. but the white color doesn't fit with it. so i'm asking, how do you change the wite text color to green? i appreciate it if someone knows the answer, because i looked everywhere on internet, and i didn't find anything to change the font from white to green. and thx for reading this.

Reply 4 of 10, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Add this at the beginning of DOSBox autoexec:

@echo esc[32m

or light green:

@echo esc[1;32m

Replace "esc" with the escape character.

https://www.youtube.com/user/zirkoni88

Reply 5 of 10, by Hobbyist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somewhere I found that the escape character in DOS would be "$e", so I inserted

@echo $e[32m

in the autoexec section of the DOSBox cofiguration file, but that doesn't work (no color change).

I found examples for DOS which use "prompt" instead of "@echo", but it seems the prompt command is not available in DOSBox.

Any other ideas?

Reply 6 of 10, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The esc-character is a special character that you can't type "normally". You can type it in some text editors by holding the Alt-key and typing the character code number with the keypad keys. (I don't remember what the number is).

Copy & pasting doesn't necessarily work either (different encoding etc.) and it seems it can't be pasted here on this forum at all.

EDIT: The code for esc is 027. Works for example in Notepad++ (you get a black square that has the letters "esc" inside it).
Hold down Alt, type 027 on the numpad, release Alt.

Last edited by zirkoni on 2018-05-09, 15:37. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.youtube.com/user/zirkoni88

Reply 9 of 10, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hobbyist wrote:

Somewhere I found that the escape character in DOS would be "$e"

I found examples for DOS which use "prompt" instead of "@echo"

$e is interpreted as escape code by prompt (in MS-DOS), but not by echo.
prompt has also the advantage of automatically resetting the colors each time you exit a program (which might've mangled your customized colors).