VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

Id like to know if its possible to change aspect ratio.
To me, screen is too long (or wide), and not high enough.
I would prefer a more "square" window.
Is that possible ?
(if not, it would be nice to ad such a feature, imho)

thanks

Reply 2 of 11, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry i dont get it.
I dont wanna change resolution or something, i just wanna strectch Dosbox window so that its more "square".
In mame or fba (ie) most games are also 320*240, but the image is ok (and theres an option to change aspect ratio anyway).
What i would like is an option to make dosbox displays in a, say, 800*700 window, or 500*400 (epsxe has that, and its great).
Then, Open GL just stretches the original image so that it fill the window, whatever size it is.

Reply 4 of 11, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first picture have the correct aspect ratio. 1,6 to 1 (320x200). It's the aspect ratio the vast majority of DOS games are using. Not the 1,3333 to 1 ratio (320x240) that is used today.

Reply 5 of 11, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have to edit dosbox.conf.
In section [render] you can find "aspect=false", replace it with "aspect=true".
To change window size, look in section [sdl].
"output" must be set to one of overlay,opengl,openglnb, then try to change the value of "hwscale" until it fits your needs.

Reply 6 of 11, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
You have to edit dosbox.conf. In section [render] you can find "aspect=false", replace it with "aspect=true". To change window s […]
Show full quote

You have to edit dosbox.conf.
In section [render] you can find "aspect=false", replace it with "aspect=true".
To change window size, look in section [sdl].
"output" must be set to one of overlay,opengl,openglnb, then try to change the value of "hwscale" until it fits your needs.

These are my settings already.

Reply 7 of 11, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first picture have the correct aspect ratio.

So you mean you had a 16/9 monitor (or so) on your 386 ?
Every monitor ive seen is rather square, so i dont see how you can say this is the proper aspect ratio. I dont talk of the original size (or what it shold be), i talk of what i used to see on pc monitors at the time (and still today).

Reply 8 of 11, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Computer monitors aren't "rather square", they almost have a screen proportion of 4:3.
VGA mode 13h (320x200) therefore uses pixelsizes that aren't square, they are vertically longer; when running in windowed mode, pixels are square, so the image has to be stretched to give a similar visual appearance.

"Aspect=true" perfectly works for me, so you should check again.

Or you might be using a "freaky" resolution or a "freaky" (notebook?)display - what are the proportions of the display and what resolution do you use?

Reply 9 of 11, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use 1280*1024. Aspect = true in my conf file.
But thats not the point, i would just like an option to specify the screen (window) ratio. Things like 8:7, or 5:4 etc
Im almost sure that would be pretty easy to implement.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Reply 11 of 11, by Elwood

User metadata

I realize this thread is rather old, and the same points are discussed in other threads as well. I'm having the same problem as well, using a LCD display with 1280x1024 native resolution and 5:4 ratio - would really love to get the games up and running using that ratio and resolution.

What I'd like to do, is:

a) Run a game in a maximized window that exactly fits my screen - right shape or not (i.e. manually set the size of the window to NxM points)

b) Run the game fullscreen, again, stretched to fit my oddly shaped screen.

I couldn't notice any difference between ASPECT=TRUE/FALSE. I figured this would be the setting for doing what I'm looking for - should this setting affect the fullscreen mode or only windowed? Are there other requirements for the option to work?

I can't see the point, 8:7 and 5:4 will turn perfect circles into egg-like schemes. But if you desperately need it, download the source and do it.

The difference between the oldie 4:3 and 5:4 ratio of my current display really does deform shapes a bit, but it is not as bad as one might think without trying it first. In SCUMMVM this thing works really nicely. In my opinion the slight deformation is a lot better option than having those sad black bars on top and bottom of screen.

Sadly, the most challenging thing I can code is a 'Hello world!' -thingie, so I'll have skip the advice on doing anything with them sources. 😉

I hope what I'd want to do is plain here. Did a search on the forum before posting - I guess if such a feature would exist, the other people asking about this would have gotten answers I'd have undestood.

Has this optimizing for weird resolutions/aspect ratios reached the ToDo yet? Like forcing manually the window/fullscreen display to be stretched to NxM pixels or enabling the maximize - button?

* Thanks for the GREAT plaything this DOSBOX is - being able to play them old games is lots of fun with those black top/bottom bars as well! *