VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Normandy

User metadata

Hi

Hope someone can help me out with this problem.
I have tried make a game from theunderdogs work. Its a bit tricky because one has to burn a CD-rom with the game dir and start the game from a similar dir on a harddrive. Then the pesky copyprotection on this now freeware game demands thats one adds a Lastdrive=x statement one number highter then the CD drive. d:

Ive tried to play around with Dosbox and can make the CD spin up, with D-fend but it err´s with what seems to be a copy protection error. According to the guys at theunderdogs this LASTDRIVE is neccesary to bypass the ancient copyprotection.

So where if possiable do I add a LASTDRIVE=E in the Dosbox.conf file??? or elsewhere?

Thx in advance

OS: W2k, game: America invades h**p://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1284 and Ive read the README.

Reply 1 of 7, by newsdee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if it's just a variable, you can type the following at any DOS prompt:

C:\> SET LASTDRIVE = E

Or just add it under the "autoexec" section of your dosbox.conf file.

Don't panic.

Reply 2 of 7, by Normandy

User metadata

Good tip and I tried it and it didnt do the trick.

I still have this error: "Illegal read from c8000033" that continuesly loops

However, is I remember my DOS correctly, the LASTDRIVE statement is suppose to come in the config.sys, not in the autoexec.bat part of a "normal" dos boot. I was hoping someone would know where to add it in the doxbox.conf file or elsewhere.

Nevertheless many thx for the effort. 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

It works now using Dosbox and D-fend¨

My breakthrough came with removing read-only attribs from all the files anyone wanting to try the game should read this thread and follow he instructions carefully.

h**p://www.the-underdogs.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 37242ebf2d

Then by mounting with D-fend its possiable to play the game
😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

The forum at underdogs is still not up. I have downloaded d-fend and removed the read only attributes from all the files. I still cannot get D-day to work. Where do you put the lastdrive command? Does it matter what directory you installed the game in? Do you run the game from the cd rom or harddrive? Thanks.

Reply 7 of 7, by Fikiri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to get this game to work on OS X using DOSBox .63 using a hack seen on the DOSBox Game compatibility page that bypasses the CD protection requirement. There are two parts to the hack.

1. Using a Hex Editor (I used one called HexEdit) open the file invades.exe .
Search for 000D4D7A; Change 75 to 90. Then go to 000D4D7B (the next one) and change 33 to 90. Save the file.

2. Now you must make all the files read/writeable. In OS X, do Get Info on invades.cfg Look for Ownership and Permissions, click on the details arrow and alter the permissions for all users and groups to read/write. Select each folder, do as above, and click on the "Apply to enclosed items..." button.

Now you can run the game from your HD without a CD.