VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've installed Leisure Suit Larry 7 Love for Sail and the game works flawlessly save for one major issue; the audio gets crackly and distorted from time to time. It does fix itself (I think when you change locations) but it's really annoying, especially during dialogue.

I'm currently using DOSBox ECE r4201 and I've tried tweaking the .conf (raising the mixer prebuffer, changing the mixer rate, switched soundcards and their rate) to no avail.

I've come across plenty of people having the same issue with lsl7 on the net, but no one offers a solution.

I did, however, find this 9 year old thread: Leisure Suit Larry 7 music problem where someone said "fixed this issue by not using dosbox mixer (option in d-fend reloaded / dosbox.conf)". Exactly what does that mean? Is it possible to 'not use' the dosbox mixer without having to use d-fend reloaded?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think they were referring to setting sbmixer=false, but I can tell you that won't get rid of the occasional "fuzzy" distorted sound in LSL7.

As noted, the simplest thing to do is to move to a different room (i.e. a scene change), and then move back if need be, which usually clears up the distortion.

There is a hack that one can make to the main executable (SIER.EXE) that appears to significantly reduce the odds of the distortion occuring, but not sure if you'd want to resort to something like that.

Reply 2 of 5, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've tried setting the sbmixer to false and like you said it has no effect regarding the distortion.

Changing location to get rid of the crackling doesn't help when it starts during dialogue or scripted parts. It totally kills the mood.

Oh, where can I find more information about this hack? Also, just reduce? Is it clear why it happens in the first place? It seems to be a very old issue with DOSBox, wonder why it hasn't been addressed in a revision before.

The game works great in ScummVM, however it doesn't support the unlocking of wallpapers and the 'be a star' features.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's not clear that it is an issue with DOSBox, although it might be. What seems to happen is that when interrupts are disabled for too long, it can lead to a de-sync in filling the DMA buffer. The hack addresses a specific place in the code that waits for retrace with interrupts disabled, instead keeping interrupts enabled while waiting. Because waiting for retrace can take a longer or shorter amount of time depending on when you start waiting, the noise occurs seemingly at random.

I've attached the hacked SIER.EXE (LSL7 CD-ROM v1.01) if you want to try it, and if so then please report your experience with it.

Attachments

• Filename
    lsl7_noisehack.zip
    File size
    405.24 KiB
    Downloads
    365 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran the hack for ~10 minutes and it seems to work fine! Played some Strip Liars Dice and also walked back and forth extensively between the promenade decks (as it seemed I could make it happen most often there when the scratch-n-sniff card came up at the same time Peggy was humming her tune.) and the audio did not once garble on me. 😀

So having the interrupts enabled while waiting for retrace doesn't break anything?

Thanks for the hack mate!

Reply 5 of 5, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I am aware this is an old thread, however I am currently playing Leisure Suit Larry Larry 7 Love For Sail in DOSBox 0.74-3 on Windows 10. I too am experiencing this glitch. I can try using a ThunderBoard (not recognized as supported by the installer, but it works) or a Sound Blaster driver the game works with either but the glitch keeps appearing. I am not sure whether it is related, but I have noticed a few other weird behaviors of the game in DOSBox, sometimes the game won't exit properly, that is, I get a black screen with a flashing cursor. Also, the audio issues appear to be even worse during cutscenes.

EDIT:
The patch I just found in this very thread solved it. 😀

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels