VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lately I was intrigued to try Top Gun: Fire At Will on DOSBOX. Host PC is Intel Core i5-2400 @3.10GHz with 16 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with GeForce GT 710 GPU. Since this PC doesn't have optical drive, I use Nero images (.NRGs) burned from the original CDs like, years ago. Top Gun CD 1 is mounted using Alcohol 120% version 2.1.0 (Build 20601) on the O: drive, which in turn is mounted in dosbox using mount d o:\ -t cdrom -usecd -ioctl command. The game has been patched to version 1.1 right after installation.

When I run the game, the video intro stutters so bad, and so does the main menu, and so does the briefing screen.

01-Top-Gun-Fire-At-Will-intro-stutters.png
02-Top-Gun-Fire-At-Will-main-menu-stutters.png
03-Top-Gun-Fire-At-Will-briefing-stutters.png
(top to bottom) Top Gun: Fire At Will's intro, main menu, and briefing screen; all stutters badly.

Thankfully, air combat doesn't stutter. Moreover, frame rate is butter-smooth even with SUPERHI enabled. Nonetheless, the stuttering that happens anywhere else is quite annoying.

By the way, I use core=dynamic, cputype=auto, and cycles=250000 (yes, two hundred fifty) in my .conf file (attached). I've noticed that the stuttering get worse as cycles increase, but I need such high cycles to play the game smoothly with SUPERHI option. I thought it was because DOS4GW doesn't play nice with dynamic core, so I replaced DOS4GW with DOS32a using sb /r command on TOPGUN.OVL file (yes, turned out DOS4GW is embedded in TOPGUN.OVL instead of TOPGUN.EXE). Alas, the stuttering stays. It doesn't get worse, though, but doesn't get any better either.

So, which direction should I take to solve the problem? Perhaps there are other, better DOS extenders I should use? Or perhaps it has nothing to do with the stuttering at all?

Attachments

• Filename
    topgunfaw.conf
    File size
    10.77 KiB
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Windows 7 played a big role as well for the stuttering, On windows 7, at least 74-2 is needed for working auto cycles. But it can be that the fixed cycle amount is just too high for non-combat parts.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-03-08, 02:42:

Are you using 0.74-3? Several dynarec auto changes were done to combat stuttering on newer Intel Core processors..

Qbix wrote on 2020-03-08, 14:58:

Windows 7 played a big role as well for the stuttering, On windows 7, at least 74-2 is needed for working auto cycles. But it can be that the fixed cycle amount is just too high for non-combat parts.

Well I'm actually using DOSBOX 0.74-.3 I haven't tested whether earlier DOSBOX version stutter or not.

I have tried Dawn Patrol and Need For Speed: Special Edition on the same PC though, with about similar cycle, and they don't stutter. Well NFS:SE stutters a little, while DP doesn't stutter at all (DP only stutter when you set high cycles with core=normal or core=simple).

However, I remember: back in 2012, I experienced similar problems with Origin's Pacific Strike: the game stutters so bad during cut scenes (especially during speeches), but it doesn't stutter during combat, despite sound and speech are on. Unlike Top Gun though, Pacific Strike doesn't stutter in main menu, although there are no sound nor speech in main menu (only MIDI song). By the way, I was using XP.

So, since I'm already using 0.74-3, what should I do?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using gsync? With gsync enabled for windowed and full screen then I'd see issues with the sound when at the main menu and dragging the cursor around in window mode, no issues in fullscreen.

With gsync enabled only for fullscreen then no issue with either.

It looks like you can extract the CD to a directory and point the INI file to it for the game. The setup still needs the CD. ISO mounts fine with DOSBox.

Should probably stick something in the readme about gsync and mabye add refresh rate to title bar.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-03-09, 02:38. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For games with stutter issues when playing in window mode you could try capturing DOSBox video, viewing details of the video to see what refresh rate it's using and set a custom refresh and resolution, set the desktop to this if your monitor supports it and see f the game works
https://www.vsynctester.com/

Mabye try playing with the various vsync options in the Nividia control panel as well like forcing vsync with gsync. Don't use let the application decide.
Also use output=opengl

/EDIT
This game requires 70hz so will have issues if monitor can only do 60.
So for my other monitor I can drop the desktop resolution to 1280x1024@75hz on my LCD and the game works fine.
On my G-SYNC monitor only allowing G-SYNC for fullscreen works.

//EDIT Try frameskip=1 as well.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-03-09, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Any reason why you can't use cycles=max or maybe cycles=max limit 250000 ?
Stuttering audio tends to mean that the cycles you picked for that specific piece of the game, are too high.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UPDATE:

@DosFreak: well I don't use G-SYNC, buddy. The menu doesn't appear, so I guess my monitor doesn't support it. And yes, I'm using OpenGL output (so I can get FXAA for DOS games running in DOSBOX).

04-Top-Gun-Fire-At-Will-no-GSYNC.jpg
No G-SYNC.

@Qbix: yes, you're right: setting cycles to max eliminate the stuttering, and the flight part is pretty smooth even with SUPERHI option. Thanks!