VOGONS

First post, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just a suggestion on config files it would be nice feature in my opinion to have say a config for a specific game where you put in all the parameters for the game say like all that it consists of is the core type cycles and mem types

but once its loaded all the values from the specified config it loads the rest of them from the main config.conf in the dosbox folder would be very usefull for when you have loads of games and use mostly the same settings (such as sound and video) for a lot of the stuff

its a bit like how the game specific ini's work in mame where it loads the values from the game.ini where applicable and all the other values from the mame.ini

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it can somehow be done. You can specify which config file to use by using a command-line parameter, but now I am not already sure if it will take the remaining parameters from default dosbox.conf - I think yes, but again, I am not fully sure. Just try it.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm you can create a configfile which only list differences from our/my default configfile. but not your configfile.

if you want to override your current/global configfile you can use enverionment variables.

DOSBOX_SECTION_PARAMETER=value
(DOSBOX_CPU_CYCLES=5000 for example)

I'm not certain how useful the parsing of multiple configuration files would be.
Might complicate it more than needed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had very nice results with batch files and DOSBoxens new config commands, for example:

z:\config -set cpu cycles 300

This can't set all options yet, some must be set via dosbox.conf or environment, but all important game-specific settings work (all cpu and memory related, frameskip and the like).

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiger-Heli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I recommend is backing up the dosbox.conf file in the main DosBox directory, and then modifying it so it works for the majority of your games.

Then copy this file to the specific games folder (say C:\Games\F-19\) and modify it with commands to launch the specific game and any options that need to be changed to support the specific game.

Then create and modify a shortcut to DosBox with the specific game name that loads this config file, in other words, a target line of C:\dosbox\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe -conf "C:\Games\F-19\dosbox.conf, for example.

The only drawback to this is you have more files, which are slightly larger (we're talking several hundred words in a text file) and more spread out, and that is is difficult to see what options were changed in each game without doing a line-by-line comparison.

(Oh, and that you might have to modify all those files again when the next DosBox version is released).