VOGONS

First post, by muralysunam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to use a count variable and increment it as a part of command whenever dosbox is opened. I think the count should be stored in an external text file or something like that. I copy a particular file and rename it in serial order from name00.xls to name05.xls. After the name05.xls is copied. The copying must restart by overwriting name00.xls.
In short,
I have a file let name.xls
Whenever dosbox is opened name.xls is copied to namexx.xls where xx varies from 00 to 05.
Thank you for any help.

Reply 2 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use an external tool like autoit or autohotkey...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by muralysunam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I am not talking about games.
My father use quatrro pro(an older version) to log some informations. I need to take a backup whenever father access the file and keep last 5 or 10 files only. Is it possible?

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox is designed for games. It is not complete in its emulation, only what is needed by games. It is strongly recommended that you do NOT use it for anything mission critical. It is best to use a more complete VM.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Or use some automatic backup of the files outside of dosbox or use dropbox to store the files that keeps backups but it's in the cloud

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 8, by muralysunam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. I am using Dropbox. Till now i dont have the knowlege that it keeps backup. However I dont know how to use VM this easily(as DOSBOX). In Dosbox I can open dosbox to open an application. In VM it takes lot of time to open and interaction with host files can be done via sharing only which is not much recoginizable for my dos program.

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be pretty simple using a couple of minutes googling to create a host side script to backup x # of days of your file

or just backup the file and delete old days manually. It's doubtful the filesize is very big....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline