VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 1550, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't used ECE but assuming it and SDL included with it are compiled with a version of Visual Studio that's not compatible with 9x. If ECE is using SDL1 then you're not missing anything. (Assuming no custom modifications to SDL for ECE).

....but if the ECE dosbox executable works then not sure what's going on there unless different compilers were used.

DosBox SVN still works fine on Windows 9x. It's newer versions of Visual Studio that causes the loss of 9x compatibility.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 161 of 1550, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Haven't used ECE but assuming it and SDL included with it are compiled with a version of Visual Studio that's not compatible with 9x. IF ECE is using SDL1 then you're not missing anything. (Assuming no custom modifications to SDL for ECE)

For additional info:
0.74 SDL.DLL Version: 1.2.13.0
ECE SDL.DLL Version : 1.2.15.0

With your answer, it would seem it both using the SDL1 although different revisions.

Thanks! 😊

Reply 162 of 1550, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

DosBox SVN still works fine on Windows 9x. It's Visual Studio that's the cause.

I figured, and I tried to research how to compile it myself for win9x, but gave up after some hours and replaced the DLL instead. It's just beyond my software knowledge capabilities.

DosFreak wrote:

....but if the ECE dosbox executable works then not sure what's going on there unless different compilers were used.

it doesn't, not without KernelEx. Good catch and sorry for not bringing that up in the post. The newest SDL actually works with KernelEx too, but produces irregular locking of the mouse cursor, which also disappears when using the older SDL.DLL.

EDIT: Actually the ECE executable does work in Win9x without kernelex, i spoke to soon. Had to disable kernelEx it to test just to be sure but it will complain about sdl.dll if not kernelex is enabled or the sdl.dll is replaced with an older version from 0.74

Reply 163 of 1550, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yesterplay80 wrote:
Ant_222 wrote:

Yesterplay80, there seems to be a problem with the latest version of my patch on OSX. Can you please confirm that your build includes the latest version (alpha 12)? I am trying to determine whether the problem is somehow related to the OS.

I just redownloaded your patch and compared the "time stamps" with the patch file I use: They're all identical, so it must be the latest alpha 12 I use.

Thanks for checking it for me.

Reply 165 of 1550, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Why would you use DOSBox on a 9x system?

In an earlier post he said he wanted working MT32 emulation...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 166 of 1550, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
collector wrote:

Why would you use DOSBox on a 9x system?

In an earlier post he said he wanted working MT32 emulation...

Thanks, and there is also DOSBox way of handling early DOS resolutions. My LCD is not able to handle this correctly, as it would stretch to 700x400 in pure DOS or in windows dos box. Third reason, it's convenient and it save space, desk cable management etc with fewer PCs, monitors etc and with an Win9x system with enough CPU, why not?

Many thanks to Yesterday80 for creating ECE btw!

Reply 167 of 1550, by bsmith1702

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
bsmith1702 wrote:

[I was thinking that the game needed the glide dlls in order to work like they do in ykhwong's build. I just placed them in the DOSBox or Redguard directory. Otherwise, I'm not sure how glide is supposed to work in DOSBox ECE. I have output=opengl and voodoo=auto. Is there anything else that I am missing to enable glide?

All the games I tried out so far worked without any DLLs, since all the wrapping is done internally in DOSBox. Did you try to start the game without any additional DLLs? BTW.: According to the reviews on GOG, where they sell the 3Dfx-accelerated version, the game runs so slow with 3Dfx that it's almost unplayable.

I tried removing the DLLs without any luck. And yes this is the GOG version. I haven't played that much. Just enough to see if it works, but it seems to run reasonably well using ykhwong's build. A bit choppy perhaps but not unplayable. The reason I am trying to get this to work with DOSBox ECE is to see if I can get a "one-size-fits-all" version running. Up until now, that has been ykhwong's, but the last version is kind of buggy and over 2 years old. ECE seems to be a pretty good replacement and I've grown to like pixel perfect output. Now if I can just get Redguard to work.

One thing I just noticed. ykhwong's build comes with 32- and 64-bit versions of the executable. I get the same error message when I try to run Redguard with the 64-bit version. I'm not sure why this would be the case or if it is related to why I can't get ECE to work.

Reply 168 of 1550, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it be possible to make it such that DOSBox would automatically center the window upon launching a game? Instead, when running in windowed mode, it ends up being off-centered and partially off the bottom-right side of my screen.

Reply 169 of 1550, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lukeman3000 wrote:

Would it be possible to make it such that DOSBox would automatically center the window upon launching a game? Instead, when running in windowed mode, it ends up being off-centered and partially off the bottom-right side of my screen.

SDL 1.2 does not provide direct control of the window position, but you can center it via the environment variable SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED. This variable can be set programmatically using setenv() or putenv(). MinGW added support for the former after my request. If interested, a programmer can modify the DOSBox source so that it will set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED if the setenv() function is available in the system. For a simple test, try to define this variable manually.

Reply 170 of 1550, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
lukeman3000 wrote:

SDL 1.2 does not provide direct control of the window position, but you can center it via the environment variable SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED. This variable can be set programmatically using setenv() or putenv(). MinGW added support for the former after my request. If interested, a programmer can modify the DOSBox source so that it will set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED if the setenv() function is available in the system. For a simple test, try to define this variable manually.

Well.. I am interested, but I'm no programmer. How might I go about this? Setting a variable sounds simple enough, but I assume this isn't something I can do in the configuration file?

Also, is this something that will work with DOSBox ECE?

Reply 171 of 1550, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Open command prompt and enter „SET SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED = 1“ and ten launch DOSBox from that prompt. Or set it as global environment variable which you probably want to do 😉
See Is it possible to preset the initial dosbox window position?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 173 of 1550, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Open command prompt and enter „SET SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED = 1“ and ten launch DOSBox from that prompt. Or set it as global environment variable which you probably want to do 😉
See Is it possible to preset the initial dosbox window position?

Thanks for the link.

If I was interested in learning how to change DOSBox so that I don't have to set the environment variable, where might you suggest I begin? It can't be too hard to set a variable and then (I'm assuming) compile it?

Reply 174 of 1550, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did either of us accidentally kill Lukeman's post?
Anyway you do it ONCE on the command prompt to test whether it works (I have seen "SET SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED = center" mentioned on another site but I don't think this is correct) and then as a global environment variable as DosFreak wrote

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 175 of 1550, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

did either of us accidentally kill Lukeman's post?
Anyway you do it ONCE on the command prompt to test whether it works (I have seen "SET SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED = center" mentioned on another site but I don't think this is correct) and then as a global environment variable as DosFreak wrote

Nope, I did. I prematurely posted that question before seeing the link you posted, and didn't want to get rekt for not reading it.

Yeah, I'm with you as far as setting the variable in command prompt and then as an environment variable goes. I'm just interested in setting this variable within DOSBox itself, for my own edification and learning.

Reply 176 of 1550, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use a .bat file:

%comspec% /c set SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=center & set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1 & start DOSBox.exe

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 177 of 1550, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Firtasik wrote:
You can use a .bat file: […]
Show full quote

You can use a .bat file:

%comspec% /c set SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=center & set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1 & start DOSBox.exe

Can I put this in the dosbox autoexec section?

Reply 178 of 1550, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no, this has to happen before you start Dosbox. Best course is still to use the global environment