VOGONS

First post, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I open dosbox it puts it's window wherever it wants determined by the screen position of the icon you use to launch it as far as I can see.

I would like it to open in a pre-determined position so that I don't have to always re-position it first before using it.

Is there anyway to do this?

Reply 5 of 13, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm very confused now, I don't want to guess.Please explain in full words. Does DBGL mean dosbox ? ??? something something???
Enviroment tab? Os enviroment settings like:
SET SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1 ?????
What tab??? Where??? I've only seen this stuff for about a week, not years! Please try to explain how to do this. My os?? my xp os?? my virtual os?? ??????????? So simple I guess I should already know???

Reply 7 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Your operating system on which you run dosbox. If that is xp, then yes xp 😉
Google how to change environnental settings... Hint, the system program in the control center...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 13, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for not explaining again. Is this just a guessing game?
I specifically wrote "like: set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1"
That's how I always used to set the enviromental settings.
Maybe it's changed??
Please try to explain. Anyone can say google it.
I'm also having trouble understanding the help text files on the virtual os drive. Where is userconf????? What is it?
Is it a file?? I know it's a command line parameter but is it a file somewhere????
I've been reading replies to other newbies and you people are .....RFSAWAPUYA .
Please try to explain better.

Reply 11 of 13, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help on this.
For a 1920x1080 screen I have the window set for 1280x1024 (that's the max. size autocad video driver I have).
The enviroment variable setting is:
SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=640,0
This puts the autocad screen in the upper right corner at 1280x1024 of the 1920x1080 monitor which is exactly where I want it.
All the other dos apps hug the same corner and are relative in size.
Some are slightly smaller in height such as norton commander and my phone dialer. I also stuck a modem in the computer and it works great for my dos phone book/ dialer with serial2=directserial realport:com2. So thanks guys. Everything is working great. Now all I want to do is tweak the ansi colors a bit. I read somewhere it can be done. These big screens and video cards are a bit different than the old crt's in color and contrast. I'll dig for that myself.
Anyway thanks again. Now I don't have to reply on maintaining old computers and peripherals since autocad 10 is the best 2-d drafting program ever made. Believe me, I tried and used almost all of them at one time or another during the last 28 years. The new versions of autocad are great if you want to do solid models.
Check is in the air or cable or phone line or somewhere...ask paypal.

Reply 12 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
garrynichol wrote:
Thanks for not explaining again. Is this just a guessing game? I specifically wrote "like: set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1" That's how […]
Show full quote

Thanks for not explaining again. Is this just a guessing game?
I specifically wrote "like: set SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1"
That's how I always used to set the enviromental settings.
Maybe it's changed??
Please try to explain. Anyone can say google it.
I'm also having trouble understanding the help text files on the virtual os drive. Where is userconf????? What is it?
Is it a file?? I know it's a command line parameter but is it a file somewhere????
I've been reading replies to other newbies and you people are .....RFSAWAPUYA .
Please try to explain better.

I know you got it working now but are you daft on purpose? I'm not on Windows anymore and only vaguely remember where to set environment settings on windows xp, thus I wrote google it. Yes anyone can write google it but is it that hard to actually do exactly that? Google it? I'm not going to look it up just for anyone not able to use an internet search engine.

If you don't know what a word means ... Yes, right, GOOGLE IT. DBGL for example, the google result could have helped you faster than writing what it is and waiting for an answer...

Sorry for being too harsh, I know I am, but I'm fed up after a day with people not able to do simple thinking on their own.

Userconf is a parameter for the command line that will use an extra dosbox config ALONG with the default one. You need to make that extra config file yourself. Probably all written down in the readme. At least I was able to make sense of it when it was introduced with the last version.

Reply 13 of 13, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was confused about what they were referring to in the manuals as far as the config file. I had been using the config file all week, just didn't know they meant that one. I actually had used the userconf as a command line parameter in a script I wrote to run dosbox and have it do some post processing, so I knew what it was, I just didn't understand the manual. As far as google it, when one is confused having someone say google it seems weird because one is not sure what IT is. It's hard to find something when one's confused about what it is. It's like trying to find the one missing piece in a puzzle. One doesn't find it until one finds all the other pieces. Anyway, thanks again.