VOGONS

First post, by jpt9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a feature request that I'm sure everyone wants -- the ability to execute a config.sys and autoexec.bat file on DOSbox startup. Or at least the ability to set FILES = x in the configuration file. This feature would probably be extremely useful, considering the many posts about needing to be able to change the number of FILES. E-mail me at jtuttle [at] g*NOSPAM*mail [dot] com. (Convert [at] to "@", [dot] to ".", and remove the "*NOSPAM*".)

Thanks.

-- J.P.

Reply 1 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ATOEXEC.BAT functionality does exist - write the commands in DOSBOX.CONF.
You will be able to use CONFIG.SYS when using image support and booting real DOS. This will be in the next version.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

For what it is worth, I have this in my DOSBox config file.

[autoexec]

# -- Lines in this section will be run at startup.

@echo off
pause

echo Mounting "D:\DB-Games" as drive C.
mount C "D:\DB-Games"

echo Mounting "L:\" as CDRom.
mount G "L:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

C:
if exist "C:\Config.Bat" call Config.Bat
if exist "C:\AutoExec.Bat" call AutoExec.Bat

There is no real need to have both an Config.Bat and an AutoExec.Bat, but it allows me to keep stuff divided just in my real MS-DOS setup.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

config.sys support is not needed.
just create one in your virtual drive and put it there.

There is nothing you would have to setup in there. Dosbox has very very sensible internal settings.

But some games check for a physical config.sys on c:\
instead of checking the tables. So create one (which isn't used by dosbox) so the game is satisfied.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
jpt9 wrote:

E-mail me at jtuttle [at] g*NOSPAM*mail [dot] com. (Convert [at] to "@", [dot] to ".", and remove the "*NOSPAM*".)

Thanks.

-- J.P.

No.

Reply 6 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@jpt9, have you tried creating a dummy CONFIG.SYS in your (DOSBox) C: drive, a dummy file with just 'FILES=30' in it?

Reply 7 of 7, by jpt9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried -- it doesn't work. I've heard that DOSBox gives programs FILES=100, and that some programs can't handle that much and think there isn't enough. Agenda must be one of those programs. It actually needs the number of files set to (at least) 30, and apparantly some number less than 100. Any help?

-- J.P.