VOGONS

First post, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys!

For the last couple of years I've been building a DOSBox drive that I can use like a virtual DOS machine. That is to say, I run DOSBox and then run all my games and apps from within the emulator as opposed to running each game with a separate shortcut from windows. So I've been trying to piece together the "perfect" .conf with the most universally accommodating settings that will allow me to run different games that have different needs without having to exit the emulator and change settings externally. Things like the "cycles" command are great but it doesn't seem as though "memsize" works from within DOSBox. I used to have it set at 16 until I ran into some games that needed 32 so I changed it to that and haven't had any trouble until now.

Syndicate Plus, seems to need it to be set at 16. So as I said above, this is likely a stupid question but is there anyway to get it to work with the memsize set at 32 or any way to change the memsize from withing DOSBox without exiting?

Thanks for humoring me!

Reply 1 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never noticed that problem with Syndicate or American Revolt. What release of DOSBox are you using?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox must be restarted for some altered settings to take effect; the machine= setting being a more significant example than the memsize= setting. In SVN you can use a "config -writeconf -r" command to restart DOSBox without exiting, and changes to the machine= or memsize= settings will go into effect after the restart, but note that this updates the settings in the conf file.

Reply 3 of 11, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

DOSBox must be restarted for some altered settings to take effect; the machine= setting being a more significant example than the memsize= setting. In SVN you can use a "config -writeconf -r" command to restart DOSBox without exiting, and changes to the machine= or memsize= settings will go into effect after the restart, but note that this updates the settings in the conf file.

So you're saying that from within DOSBox I can change the memsize and have the emulator automatically restart with the new setting saved to the .conf? But this feature is only available in an SVN build? Which one?

Reply 4 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not automatically, you have to use the command mentioned to save settings and restart. I am certain that it works with a vanilla SVN build, but it should also work in others provided they have incorporated the feature.

Reply 5 of 11, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Not automatically, you have to use the command mentioned to save settings and restart. I am certain that it works with a vanilla SVN build, but it should also work in others provided they have incorporated the feature.

SO would I do it like this?

memsize=16
config -writeconfig xxxxx.conf -r

And this doesn't work with regular official DOSBox, right? I have no experience with SVNs...in fact I didn't even know that was a thing until you mentioned it and I looked it up. Do SVN builds maintain all the features of the official DOSBox and just add more? Or are they known for adding new stuff while mucking up some existing functions?

Reply 6 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The -writeconf option is in 0.74 and SVN, but the -r option to restart is only in SVN. I mentioned -writeconf because if you don't write out the settings then any changes you made to them from the prompt will be lost in the restart.

See here for info about SVN builds: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Reply 7 of 11, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The -writeconf option is in 0.74 and SVN, but the -r option to restart is only in SVN. I mentioned -writeconf because if you don't write out the settings then any changes you made to them from the prompt will be lost in the restart.

See here for info about SVN builds: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Thanks for the info. I will have to play with some SVNs and see what I can do. I hope the feature you refer to is incorporated in the next official release of DOSBox as I much prefer to use the an official release over one that's just been tinkered with.

Thanks again!

Reply 8 of 11, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Syndicate" behaves strangely with more than 8 Mb. RAM. It already did on DOS. I rembmer having more available RAM would cause the game to crash every couple of stages or so.

I think I replicated the issue with the CD-ROM version as well, the one that has the "American Revolt" expansion embedded.

Reply 9 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something weird is going on there, then. I have Syndicate on my physical machine (S7, 64MB RAM), and I've secured entire continents in single runs. I know it can be more stable than what you're seeing.

Reply 11 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems doubtful. This is with EMM386, JEMM386, XMS, XMS+EMS. Seems pretty immune to changes.