User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm trying to install x-wing from the 5 original disks. First I do
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
in linux. Then in dosbox, I mount A: as
mount a /mnt/floppy -t floppy

once the install program asks for disk 2 (insert disk 2 and press a key, etc), I unmount /mnt/floppy in a linux terminal, remove disk 1, insert disk 2, and then do mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

I hit a key in the dosbox window, but the installation program just beeps and tells me to insert disk 2. The funny thing is that once I close the installation program, I can hit dir and Dosbox knows the disks have been swapped. What could be going on here?

Thanks,
Wes

Reply 3 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing to try if the filenames are different on all the disks is to copy them all into one directory on the hard drive and mount that to /mnt/floppy, then run the installer in DOSBox and see if the game has a problem installing from one big virtual floppy.

Reply 5 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if it is checking the volume label? That would probably cause problems, and I don't know how to get around it. Maybe using images of the floppies would work?

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As DosFreak mentioned, You do also have to hit ctrl+f4 after swapping and mounting disks. This is because DOSBox caches everything and doesn't always automatically refresh the cache on a disk swap.

Reply 9 of 9, by wpegden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks again for the replies.

I tried hitting ctrl-f4 between swaps, it didn't help. I also tried copying everything into one directory (as suggested in that other thread), and that didn't help either.