VOGONS

First post, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I'm using the latest version of DOSBox and DOG frontend. I own the original QFG4 on CD, and have it installed. I got very far in the game with no problems at all until I finally stumbled upon Erana's Garden (I actually didn't bother searching for the garden until really far into the game). The crash occurs when I try to enter the screen where Erana's Garden would be. I attached a screenshot.

I did try re-installing the game from the CD, and disabling all sound/music to try and single out the problem.

Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• error140.JPG
    Filename
    error140.JPG
    File size
    30.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Copy the PATCHES folder and the following files to a new folder on your HDD:

65535.MAP, FLYTHRU.SEQ, INSTALL.EXE, INSTALL.HLP, INSTALL.SCR, INSTALL.TXT, README, RESOURCE.000, RESOURCE.AUD, RESOURCE.CFG, RESOURCE.MAP, RESOURCE.SFX, SIERRA.ERR, SIERRA.EXE, VERSION

and all *.DRV files. Edit the RESOURCE.CFG to:

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV 220
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV 220
joyDrv = NO
directory = \SIERRA\QG4CD
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness= 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = NO
resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches
audiosize = 63k

Don't apply any patches except for the NewRisingSun QfG4CD patch. Most of the official Sierra QfG4 patches are for the floppy version only. Start the game with SIERRA.EXE in DOSBox. If you still have problems, you might have a corrupt file.

Reply 4 of 4, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should the "directory = " line reflect this new folder? Is this new folder meant to be a clean installation of the game, without actually running the installer?

I tried all that and even started a new game instead of restoring one but the game is still crashing when I try to enter Erana's Garden. 🙁

Any chance that you could send me some of your resource or script files to see if it's really a corrupt file that's causing the crash? I own the original game on CD (though how I could prove that I'm not sure)