VOGONS

First post, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've read the threads about the graphics issues with Ripper. I already installed the patches, which got the game to run.

The movies work fine, but the actual animations and gameplay has SEVERE tearing.

What were some solutions to this problem? I couldn't find any conclusions ... just a bunch of ideas ... in the threads before.

Narrowing it down, what could be done to fix this?
Is it something with my .conf setting?

Reply 2 of 19, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive my ineptitude, but what is 'dynamic core?'

i have a mac g5, and haven't really messed with any special conf. settings, patches, or executable add ons.

just copied the iso's to my hard drive, downloaded the patches (which actually got the game to run) and tried to mess with the frameskip on .conf file. thats about it.

what do u suggest?

Reply 5 of 19, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if Ripper has tearing in real dos, but if not, change output= in dosbox.conf to something else. I think opengl doesn't tear on a Macintosh in windowed mode. Also, turn on doublebuffering (fulldouble=true).

Reply 6 of 19, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

robertmo, i've read quite a bit of documentation and basically figured out how to use dosbox in the past two weeks.

i don't really need your sarcastic remarks. thanks.

... as for the doublebuffer, i'll give that a try.

what is dynamic core?

Reply 9 of 19, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

double buffer didnt work

surely someone else must have had a similar problem?

Does it tear using output=opengl and fullscreen=false? I don't think I ever got dosbox not to tear in fullscreen on a Macbook.

Reply 10 of 19, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i changed fullscreen=false in the .conf file, but it did not change anything.

i could not find any option to change the output to output=opengl

i also can not find the readme file to look up dynamic core 🙁

Reply 11 of 19, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so i changed fullscreen=false, output=opengl, core=dynamic

...but i have a feeling that none of the changes in the .conf file are actually doing anything.

there is no noticeable change in dosbox.

why is this?

Reply 13 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Before you do anything else, experiment with the cycles setting in that config file of yours. Set it to

cycles=fixed 1234

and start DOSBox. Look at the window title. What does it say about cycles?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 19, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cycles say 3000, then it goes to MAX once the game starts.

Every change I've made with dosbox.conf, nothing in the actual program changes. I'm thinking I may be making a simple error?

Is the dosbox.conf file supposed to be located in a certain directory otherwise it won't work?

Literally, every change I make it dosbox.conf does not have an effect on the actual dosbox

Reply 18 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
highnrg wrote:

Where is your dosbox preferences.conf file located?

Mine is in my preferences folder? (but i have a mac)

should it be somewhere else?

Wrong name perhaps? I think it should be named "DOSBox 0.73 Preferences" or something like that. I am too lazy so check my 60 secs guide.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 19 of 19, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so as an update...

i figured out how to use the dosbox.conf file, and get it actually to effect my dosbox. i basically open up terminal, drag dosbox to the terminal, then type -conf then drag the .conf file over to terminal, and it opens the program with the corresponding conf file.

HOWEVER....

none of the suggestions have worked.

they pretty much made ripper run slower. double buffer = slower, core=dynamic = slower.

🙁

Im about to give up, and wait till I get a pc...

but thank u for ur help.

any other suggestions are def. welcome. ... i just cant believe it's being so slow?!