VOGONS

First post, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having recently upgraded to Windows 7 and a 16:10 (1920 x 1200) monitor I am working through my DOSBox game configs to get them working again.

I'm having a small issue with the way V for Victory is being displayed, namely that when displayed fullscreen, but NOT stretched to widescreen (I just want it displayed in the original 4:3 aspect ratio) the text becomes rather messy, e.g. the vertical strikes in the text are of variable widths rather than a fixed number of pixels wide (see V4V Title.png attached). This makes the text difficult to read and just looks wrong.

DOSBox graphics are setup as follows:

Fullscreen resolution = 0x0
Start in fullscreen mode = ON
Render = ddraw
Video card = svga_s3
Scale - no scaling

I have also tried it with double buffering on. This seems to eliminate the issue with the text but introduces a soft fuzziness to everything and also causes some crackling issues with the sound (see V4V Title - Double Bufering.png attached).

BTW - my monitor is a Dell U2410 with the display mode set to 1:1. Changing the display modes on the monior have no effect).

Much appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this.

Attachments

• Filename
    V4V Title.png
    File size
    74.02 KiB
    Downloads
    185 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    V4V Title - Double Buffering.png
    File size
    161.83 KiB
    Downloads
    191 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your only choice is between jagginess and fuzziness unless you use a video mode whose height is an integer multiple of the original.

Try fullscreen=original with aspect=true and scaler=normal2x or somesuch.

Edit: You will need to set your monitor to aspect stretching and hope that it does a better job than DOSBox.

Personally I prefer using fullscreen=1920x1200 and output=opengl, scaler=none and aspect=true. The blurriness is there but it's no worse than it would be on an old DOS machine's CRT at the original resolution if you think about it...

Reply 2 of 6, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks - at least I now know that messing around with more options is not going to "solve" this for me. I tried your first suggestion, however my monitor kept showing it in complete 16:10 fullscreen (i.e. horizontally stretched). I then tried your second suggestion and I got back to my desired 4:3 fullscreen display and a little blurry due to the double buffering. However, the crackling sound issue I had before was much much less (if there at all). So I'm going to stick with your second suggestion (fullscreen=1920x1200 and output=opengl and scaler=none) and just enjoy the retro goodness of a softer CRT look.

Note that on my setup setting aspect to on or off made no difference and so I have left it off.

Thanks so much for your help.

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'd disable the double buffering if I were you. Could solve your sound problem.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ikrananka wrote:

I tried your first suggestion, however my monitor kept showing it in complete 16:10 fullscreen (i.e. horizontally stretched).

If you had aspect=true then it's not DOSBox doing the stretching. It's possible that your video card driver control panel is set to scale the image instead of letting your monitor do it.

Reply 5 of 6, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Yep - disabling double-buffering does the trick and the sound gets a lot better. Thx.

HunterZ wrote:
Ikrananka wrote:

I tried your first suggestion, however my monitor kept showing it in complete 16:10 fullscreen (i.e. horizontally stretched).

If you had aspect=true then it's not DOSBox doing the stretching. It's possible that your video card driver control panel is set to scale the image instead of letting your monitor do it.

Doh!!! I had set my video card driver to scale the graphics a while back for another low res game. However, disabling this I still cannot seem to get my monitor to do any scaling despite adjusting the setting amongst 1:1, Aspect and Fill coupled with a range of DOSBox settings. No problem as using the settings you suggested before works fine for me and I'm happy. Thx.

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ikrananka wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Yep - disabling double-buffering does the trick and the sound gets a lot better. Thx.

Qbix: What's the advantage of DOSBox's double buffering feature? Smoother scrolling?

Is the double buffering done in hardware buffers when using output= modes that support it?

Ikrananka wrote:
HunterZ wrote:
Ikrananka wrote:

Doh!!! I had set my video card driver to scale the graphics a while back for another low res game. However, disabling this I still cannot seem to get my monitor to do any scaling despite adjusting the setting amongst 1:1, Aspect and Fill coupled with a range of DOSBox settings. No problem as using the settings you suggested before works fine for me and I'm happy. Thx.

Odd, the Aspect setting coupled with lower-than-native fullscreen resolution and scaler=none settings in DOSBox should give you the desired results. Glad you found another satisfactory solution, though - that's what matters in the end!