VOGONS

Titus the Fox

Topic actions

First post, by Firestarter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, guys! I haven't adlib sound/music in that game - only PC Speaker stupid sounds... What's the problem? How to fix it? 😕

Om Namah Narayan'a

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think this game was using an AUTODETECTION method to find out what sound capabilities were available, which i hate btw. It's been a LONG TIME since i played it. I remember prehistorik, also from Titus software, allowed you to specify 'r' as command-line option to reconfigure everything. It won't hurt in trying.

Reply 4 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Confirmed. It's even worst than i thought. CT-VOICE.DRV is in the game folder. I also got internal speaker only sound. Under VDMSound i got adlib sound, but the game is unplayable due to timing issues. I have not tested it further, though.

UPDATE: Fixed the timing issues. Just enable 'try to reduce cpu usage' under VDMSound performance tab and adjust it to a low value. Anyway, thanks to the great VGA support from my GF4 Ti4200 the colour palette is totally messed up. I prefer to play under DOSBOX even if it's using beeper.

Reply 5 of 10, by trumpet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried running this game -not exactly the same, as it is the french version called "Moktar Adventures"'
I own the original game on the original floppy, but game don't start "you need to run the game from the original disk" and return to dosbox command.
I tried whit a cracked version found on the net, and the game runs properly...

I tried to mount directly from the floppy drive 'mount a a:/ -t floppy -label moktar'
I tried also from a harddisk, a harddisk mounted as a floppy, but still nothing !
Any option I missed or any 'protection' not supported by dosbox when emulating a floppy ?

No Solution=No Problem

Reply 8 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Confirmed. It's even worst than i thought. CT-VOICE.DRV is in the game folder. I also got internal speaker only sound. Under VDMSound i got adlib sound, but the game is unplayable due to timing issues. I have not tested it further, though.

Prehistorik 1
If you want to have Sound Blaster sound you have to set a proper sbtype in dosbox.conf (proper to ct-voice.drv you have in game's folder).
Same with VDMSound config.

Reply 10 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to clarify:
Prehistorik works with Adlib in Dosbox with default dosbox.conf
It is Sound Blaster that requires ct-voice.drv and proper sbtype setting. And with Sound Blaster setting you have adlib's music and sound blaster's sound effects.