VOGONS

First post, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I swtiched from auto cycles to 12000 cycles after many trials. When on auto Autocad 10 dos would do some erratic things when plotting (printing).
I tried lowering the cycles with no solution. Then when I increased the cycles considerably the probelm disappeared.
Seems strange. I guess like a plane in flight you may not want to slow down too much or stall and crash or speed up too much and break apart and crash. Faster than 120000 cycles crashes my airplane. ouch.

Anyway I was wondering if there is some sort of cpu comparison for 120000 cycles. Foe instance would it be similar to a pentium V?

I ran it with a print sequence at the same time as on xp intel core 2 duo cpu and an amd k7 cpu computer and they completed the task in almost exactly the same time. Would this be a fair comparison?

120000 cycles = amd k7 athlon?

Reply 1 of 15, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

120000 cycles on dosbox is 120 MIPS. According to Wikipedia, the first Athlon (at 1200 MHz) is over 3500 MIPS (depends on the instruction mix). Again, according to Wikipedia, the first Pentium was able to reach 126 MIPS in some benchmarks at 75 MHz.

Reply 6 of 15, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I compared my
Intel core 2 dou cpu/XP home w/ 4 gig ram
to my
AMD Phenom II X4 940 / XP home w/4 gig ram

AMD wins hands down with super crisp and FASTER mouse and display response.

Speed is what we need this AMD is better for DOSBox.

Reply 10 of 15, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long ago gone over, FPU performance doesn't match up with integer in DOSBox, runs way faster, same goes for memory bandwidth. Integer is what matters for the majority of DOS games, it's the overriding "tiny fraction."

Reply 11 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A lot games use the fpu, and the fpu was just an example. Take any other highly
discrepant pair of instructions at wish, or post those "i have nice numbers" as always
for whatever reason.

Reply 12 of 15, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not for most 8086, 286, 386, early 486 era games, the primary benefactors of the "whatever reason" of setting at a speed to run properly. The "i have nice numbers" are noted for what they are, an average, like AMD's old PR rating. It's useful regardless that you dislike it.

Reply 13 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah but it's not useful that cycles=300==8086 but that for "games that were
programmed for fixed 8086 speed you should start at 300 cycles and change
those up or down until it's correct" which is completely different.

Last time stop posting these numbers, i'll remove all such posts without further notice.

Reply 14 of 15, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, having people be completely clueless is better than on target for most things and in the ballpark otherwise, and wow, breathtaking stance. You won't have to remove posts, your behavior is enough to keep me away.

Reply 15 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Why let them clueless? I'm against throwing out wrong information knowingly,
and if you actually read the first few postings you may or may know what i mean.
Otherwise yeah, just the ballpark.