VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all.

I have recently installed SimIsle by creating an ISO, imgmounting it, and running the disc based install (dosbox 0.74).

The game seems to install fine, and using the standard launch batch file (go.bat), the game will launch - however the opening screen is blank with music playing behind it. If I hit esc a few times to skip the intro, the main menu pops up and the game seems to look fine. basically any type of video whacks out the game again though.

There is a second launch file called "govesa.bat", which simply launches univbe prior to calling the original "go.bat" file.

Attempting top run this causes the game to launch, think for a bit, and then return the following:

TRACE :
Errlong <nul> opened. Mon Dec 19 08:54:55 2011

TRACE :

Currently I am have the conf file set to 8mb of ram, xms/ems/umb true, cycles max (have tried limiting this in case that was the issue), core is auto.

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help =)

Reply 1 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game installs and runs fine here using default settings in DOSBox 0.74 with an ISO image of the game disc. The intro animations or movies are visible, no blank screens. Even if it seems unnecessary to you, please always include your mount lines in problem reports, especially with CD-based games.

The game crashes during startup when using the included UNIVBE and SDD 5.3a with all machine types; however, it shouldn't be necessary. machine=svga_s3 has VESA in BIOS (i.e. built-in), and appears to work fine by itself. machine=svga_paradise or machine=svga_et4000 also work if you load their specific VESA drivers from the VESA\PARADISE or VESA\TSENG folders on the cdrom before running the GO batch file.

Reply 2 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your reply.

The following is my conf file:

[sdl] 
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true
[dosbox]
language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=16
[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x
[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=10
cycledown=20
[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=
[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100
[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=f:\ULTRASND
[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true
[joystick]
Show last 27 lines
joysticktype=auto 
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false
[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled
[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto
[ipx]
ipx=false
[autoexec]
cd ..
cd ..
mount c .\games\SimIsle
mount d .\games\SimIsle\cd -t cdrom
c:
cls
cd SIMISLE
#call go
#exit

I have attempted svga_s3, svga_et4000, and svga_paradise (using the tseng labs vesa driver and paradise vesa driver respectively).

All three launch, and all three give me the following screen when the games starts:

j184l4.jpg

You can see a few lines of what seems to be clouds appear. After a while very hard to read names begin to scroll upwards in a white font.

Reply 4 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
exofreeze wrote:

I have recently installed SimIsle by creating an ISO, imgmounting it, and running the disc based install (dosbox 0.74).

mount d .\games\SimIsle\cd -t cdrom

What happened between your initial post and that mount line? Are you using a disc image or a rip?

Reply 5 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was trying it both ways. First I mounted a bin/cue, and then I tried copying the files to a directory and mounting it as a cd.

Both the cd and the directory are 260megs, with 2,188 files in 81 folders.

Reply 6 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Best to stick with the image for troubleshooting; least likely to cause problems.

Disc contents sound about the same; not exact, but could be differences in how the counting is done.

The disc I have was mastered on 08/26/1997. The top part of README.TXT for comparison:

SIMISLE: Missions In The Rainforest

Last Minute Info 6 September, 1995
Updated January 6, 1997 -- Collections 3
Updated August 26, 1997 -- Classic
Ver. 1.034

I used your conf file with only mounts modified; no problem here.

Have you tried other output= settings?

Reply 7 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The top of my readme states:

SIMISLE: Missions In The Rainforest 

Last Minute Info 6 September, 1995
Ver. 1.0

So apparently I am using an older version.

As far as output goes I have attempted surface and ddraw.

Reply 8 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Doesn't mean 1.0 has a bug, but it seems something is different between the versions. Haven't found any patches, though.

I don't consider these things likely to help, but you could try experimenting with loadfix allocations of various sizes, increasing memsize, using DOS32A instead of DOS4GW, and just reinstalling (some mysterious problems have actually been fixed by the latter, for whatever reason).

Reply 9 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried the re-install a few times already.

I also just patched simisle.exe with the dos32a extender to the same result.

Zero luck with locating a patch file to a newer version.