Win95/Win98 install and seem to work in DOSBox 100% and I"m not the only one who says this here and elsewhere and this game works in DOSBox Win 3.1/Win95/Win98. BUT the highly obnoxious mod, highly doubts it. Ugh! MODS just because they are mods shouldn't say lame things and what he said was lame. And I said why, I don't need to say it again. You can disagree, but seriously if you do, I suggest you re-read what I wrote.
If you stick around, you will find that "DOSBox does not support Windows 9X" is a very commonly-repeated line around here, and that is unlikely to change regardless of how many people come here insisting that it works. Perhaps someday someone will make a fork of DOSBox explicitly designed for the purpose of running Win9x, but that hasn't happened yet.
1) This thread isn't for DOSBox Win, I only tangentially mentioned it for full coverage/reporting purposes and that's why that MODs response was so obnoxious.
2) Off-topic: DOSBox Win 95/98 install/work fine and I'm looking into what in 98lite makes WinME install. <-No need to respond to this, I'm not asking for anything relating to this.
I haven't bothered looking at the compatibility database in quite some time; last time I checked it was a bit of a mess. […]
Show full quote
I haven't bothered looking at the compatibility database in quite some time; last time I checked it was a bit of a mess.
My 1st post has no attitude
Why not just dispense with "attitude" in all your posts, sir? "Ugh", indeed.
We're good, however, there aren't any issues with the install and moving DSETUP.DLL doesn't affect the issue when *running* the game.. Yes, the installer is 16-bit, but the game executable is 32-bit.
Thank you for clarifying that. So, does that mean you got it installed in Win10 x64? How did you do that? And what happens when you try to run it?
3) Finally, a response that actually/somewhat addresses my 1st post in this thread.
4) The compatibility database for this game should be updated, like I said, in the 1st sentence of my 1st post of this thread, can someone confirm and then update the compatibility database?
5) This game installs/plays fine in DOS, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, DOSBox, DOSBox WIn 3.1, DOSBox Win95, and DOSBox Win 98.
6) The game won't install in x64 Windows because the installer is 16-bit.
7) The installer doesn't install any additional files outside of the game directory and the installer doesn't write to the registry, however the installer does modify win.ini, but the game doesn't care if the win.ini entry exists or not.
😎 Maybe debugger enthusiasts to look into it. However, for now, it runs in DOSBox. (I have a feeling the Windows version of the game is doing some really dumb check and than barfing out.)
And until a debugger enthusiast replies to this thread, I won't. My notices for this are out there, thx!
I predict that this thread will be locked soon.
Locked threads are lame. Discussion, real discussion isn't.
Show full quote
it seems you really like to see your post # go up.
We're not children. We know DOSBox is not intended for multiple-CD Windows 95 FMV adventures hosted by Q. It's such a shame people don't get this point across and ever consider better alternatives that will work 500% better becuase someone misled someone else in a exchange of misinformation on how DOSBox is some uber-l33t Win9x emulator. because it isn't.
DOSBox does not support Windows 9X no matter what people tell you otherwise.
if a game works fine in it, then good for you. and it shouldn't even be listed in the dosbox compatibility section
Hello, is anyone in there? Re-read this thread, this should be in this compatibility database because this is a DOS game you dumb lame speaking before reading and comprehending person.
It's interesting how I've been accused for not reading or understanding multiple times from multiple people. WTF? It's you who aren't reading or understanding. Doh! I was trying to help with my 1st post here, however next time I see a lack of coverage and info, I'll just post the info on another site.