VOGONS

First post, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works and can someone else confirm and then update www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3942
Thx!

Also, the Windows game executable is 32-bit, but doesn't work in W10 x64 and if anyone can get it working, please help. Thx

Research:
2 general releases (DOS/Windows 3.1/Mac CD in 1996 and Windows 3.1/Windows 95/Mac CD in 1997).

1 patch was released for Win95 support.

Both releases are on the Internet Archive and the patch can be found here. http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-borg/dow … /borg-v11-patch

The patch just includes the same installer that's on the 1997 CD.

*All* Windows installers are 16-bit.

*All* Windows game executables are 32-bit.

The game uses TrueMotion/DUKDLL95.DLL and both "Bug Too!" and "Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle Of Flesh" also use TruMotion and they (with some manual steps) both support 64-bit Windows OSs.

Also, the game installs/works in Windows 3.1/95/98 in DOSBox and in Win3.1 the installer tries to install DirectX.

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox isn't necessary or recommended. The game works fine in XP/Vista 32bit and also works fine in Vmware using those guests from my testing years ago.

and I highly doubt the game works fine in 9x in DOSBox since officlal DOSBox doesn't support 9x guests.

The Mac ver also works in Basilisk.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 14, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

DOSBox isn't necessary or recommended. The game works fine in XP/Vista 32bit and also works fine in Vmware using those guests from my testing years ago.

and I highly doubt the game works fine in 9x in DOSBox since officlal DOSBox doesn't support 9x guests.

The Mac ver also works in Basilisk.

1) I never said it was necessary
2) For people using 64-bit Windows OSs, DOSBox is actually the the easiest/best
3) Thanks for the doubt, if I have time I will post proof, however even then, with your attitude, I don't think you'll believe. Why don't you test it first then spit your fire.

Jorpho wrote:

Yes, I saw that topic. That topic is locked. Doh! Also, even if I didn't, that topic is only tangentially related to this one. Your reply is pretty useless and it seems you really like to see your post # go up.

Edit: I posted this thread so someone else could confirm my findings and correct/update the compatibility section, in your reply, the least you could do was address this, which you didn't. Instead, you implied I said things I didn't, said your opinion, which sounds/reads like you're correcting me, which you're not and is also unrelated to this post, and then you spit your doubt and attitude.

Please try being nicer and a little less doubtful Ugh!

Reply 4 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vogamer wrote:

it seems you really like to see your post # go up.

what

We're not children. We know DOSBox is not intended for multiple-CD Windows 95 FMV adventures hosted by Q. It's such a shame people don't get this point across and ever consider better alternatives that will work 500% better becuase someone misled someone else in a exchange of misinformation on how DOSBox is some uber-l33t Win9x emulator. because it isn't.

DOSBox does not support Windows 9X no matter what people tell you otherwise.

if a game works fine in it, then good for you. and it shouldn't even be listed in the dosbox compatibility section

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ vogamer - You missed what DosFreak said about that Win9x isn't supported in official DOSBox because there are several issues with 9x in it. There are a couple of non-official builds that some have used to experiment with 9x, but these forums are for the official DOSBox. Some people come here to ask for help what is not supported, so such threads are discouraged. Also, it is generally not a good idea to to use such an attitude to a moderator.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vogamer wrote:

Yes, I saw that topic. That topic is locked. Doh! Also, even if I didn't, that topic is only tangentially related to this one. Your reply is pretty useless and it seems you really like to see your post # go up.

WTF? You said you did your research, but since your first post didn't mention anything about replacing DSETUP.DLL, I was asking if you saw the thread.

Would it be valid at this point to bring up discussion of replacing 16-bit installers, or am I just going to be accused to trying to boost my post count?

Reply 7 of 14, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

@ vogamer - You missed what DosFreak said about that Win9x isn't supported in official DOSBox because there are several issues with 9x in it. There are a couple of non-official builds that some have used to experiment with 9x, but these forums are for the official DOSBox. Some people come here to ask for help what is not supported, so such threads are discouraged. Also, it is generally not a good idea to to use such an attitude to a moderator.

Win95/Win98 install and seem to work in DOSBox 100% and I"m not the only one who says this here and elsewhere and this game works in DOSBox Win 3.1/Win95/Win98. BUT the highly obnoxious mod, highly doubts it. Ugh! MODS just because they are mods shouldn't say lame things and what he said was lame. And I said why, I don't need to say it again. You can disagree, but seriously if you do, I suggest you re-read what I wrote. My 1st post has no attitude, and his mod-I-can-do-say-anything-attitude comes across really close to the surface.

Jorpho wrote:
vogamer wrote:

WTF? You said you did your research, but since your first post didn't mention anything about replacing DSETUP.DLL, I was asking if you saw the thread.

Would it be valid at this point to bring up discussion of replacing 16-bit installers, or am I just going to be accused to trying to boost my post count?

We're good, however, there aren't any issues with the install and moving DSETUP.DLL doesn't affect the issue when *running* the game.. Yes, the installer is 16-bit, but the game executable is 32-bit.

For anyone who may want to debug this game, I think will be possible to get it working on 64-bit Windows systems with minimal effort, however it already works in DOS/DOSBox.

Also, this game got bad reviews, but it doesn't seem that bad for an interactive movie.

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vogamer wrote:

Win95/Win98 install and seem to work in DOSBox 100% and I"m not the only one who says this here and elsewhere and this game works in DOSBox Win 3.1/Win95/Win98. BUT the highly obnoxious mod, highly doubts it. Ugh! MODS just because they are mods shouldn't say lame things and what he said was lame. And I said why, I don't need to say it again. You can disagree, but seriously if you do, I suggest you re-read what I wrote.

If you stick around, you will find that "DOSBox does not support Windows 9X" is a very commonly-repeated line around here, and that is unlikely to change regardless of how many people come here insisting that it works. Perhaps someday someone will make a fork of DOSBox explicitly designed for the purpose of running Win9x, but that hasn't happened yet.

I haven't bothered looking at the compatibility database in quite some time; last time I checked it was a bit of a mess.

My 1st post has no attitude

Why not just dispense with "attitude" in all your posts, sir? "Ugh", indeed.

vogamer wrote:

We're good, however, there aren't any issues with the install and moving DSETUP.DLL doesn't affect the issue when *running* the game.. Yes, the installer is 16-bit, but the game executable is 32-bit.

Thank you for clarifying that. So, does that mean you got it installed in Win10 x64? How did you do that? And what happens when you try to run it?

Reply 10 of 14, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
vogamer wrote:

Win95/Win98 install and seem to work in DOSBox 100% and I"m not the only one who says this here and elsewhere and this game works in DOSBox Win 3.1/Win95/Win98. BUT the highly obnoxious mod, highly doubts it. Ugh! MODS just because they are mods shouldn't say lame things and what he said was lame. And I said why, I don't need to say it again. You can disagree, but seriously if you do, I suggest you re-read what I wrote.

If you stick around, you will find that "DOSBox does not support Windows 9X" is a very commonly-repeated line around here, and that is unlikely to change regardless of how many people come here insisting that it works. Perhaps someday someone will make a fork of DOSBox explicitly designed for the purpose of running Win9x, but that hasn't happened yet.

1) This thread isn't for DOSBox Win, I only tangentially mentioned it for full coverage/reporting purposes and that's why that MODs response was so obnoxious.
2) Off-topic: DOSBox Win 95/98 install/work fine and I'm looking into what in 98lite makes WinME install. <-No need to respond to this, I'm not asking for anything relating to this.

Jorpho wrote:
vogamer wrote:
I haven't bothered looking at the compatibility database in quite some time; last time I checked it was a bit of a mess. […]
Show full quote

I haven't bothered looking at the compatibility database in quite some time; last time I checked it was a bit of a mess.

My 1st post has no attitude

Why not just dispense with "attitude" in all your posts, sir? "Ugh", indeed.

vogamer wrote:

Thank you for clarifying that. So, does that mean you got it installed in Win10 x64? How did you do that? And what happens when you try to run it?

3) Finally, a response that actually/somewhat addresses my 1st post in this thread.
4) The compatibility database for this game should be updated, like I said, in the 1st sentence of my 1st post of this thread, can someone confirm and then update the compatibility database?
5) This game installs/plays fine in DOS, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, DOSBox, DOSBox WIn 3.1, DOSBox Win95, and DOSBox Win 98.
6) The game won't install in x64 Windows because the installer is 16-bit.
7) The installer doesn't install any additional files outside of the game directory and the installer doesn't write to the registry, however the installer does modify win.ini, but the game doesn't care if the win.ini entry exists or not.
😎 Maybe debugger enthusiasts to look into it. However, for now, it runs in DOSBox. (I have a feeling the Windows version of the game is doing some really dumb check and than barfing out.)

And until a debugger enthusiast replies to this thread, I won't. My notices for this are out there, thx!

Edit:

collector wrote:

I predict that this thread will be locked soon.

Locked threads are lame. Discussion, real discussion isn't.

Edit:

leileilol wrote:
what […]
Show full quote
vogamer wrote:

it seems you really like to see your post # go up.

what

We're not children. We know DOSBox is not intended for multiple-CD Windows 95 FMV adventures hosted by Q. It's such a shame people don't get this point across and ever consider better alternatives that will work 500% better becuase someone misled someone else in a exchange of misinformation on how DOSBox is some uber-l33t Win9x emulator. because it isn't.

DOSBox does not support Windows 9X no matter what people tell you otherwise.

if a game works fine in it, then good for you. and it shouldn't even be listed in the dosbox compatibility section

Hello, is anyone in there? Re-read this thread, this should be in this compatibility database because this is a DOS game you dumb lame speaking before reading and comprehending person.

Edit:
It's interesting how I've been accused for not reading or understanding multiple times from multiple people. WTF? It's you who aren't reading or understanding. Doh! I was trying to help with my 1st post here, however next time I see a lack of coverage and info, I'll just post the info on another site.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vogamer wrote:

5) This game installs/plays fine in DOS, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, DOSBox, DOSBox WIn 3.1, DOSBox Win95, and DOSBox Win 98.

I was definitely not aware that there was a DOS version of this game; I'm sure that would be a big surprise to a lot of people. How exactly did you get it running in Windows 3.1 if all the Windows executables are 32-bit? You already mentioned that "in Win3.1 the installer tries to install DirectX".

(I have a feeling the Windows version of the game is doing some really dumb check and than barfing out.)

There is a blurb on the Wikipedia page about reducing the color depth to 16-bit, but then that blurb also says that the game won't work with Windows 3.1 at all, so perhaps the page is also mistaken.

Reply 12 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like Dgvoodoo works with Star Trek Borg now so it's a simple matter of copying the Borg folder over to the 64bit Windows OS (10 64bit in this case), copying the DGVoodoo files into the game directory and executing the game.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of installing the borg patch and copying the files you can just unzip the attached which is the extracted contents of the borg patch.

Attachments

• Filename
    Borg.zip
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Downloads
    387 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vogamer wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Looks like Dgvoodoo works with Star Trek Borg

Hi, what's Dgvoodoo and where is it?

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2.html

It's a glide,D3D to D3D11 wrapper. Fixes graphics issues with old games.