VOGONS

WizKid

Topic actions

First post, by nugget232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I had the demo of WizKid from an old demo floppy disk and that worked fine under DosBox 0.61. I just downloaded the full version from Home of the Underdogs as it is now abandonware, but that fails to work.

First the included installer appears to crash (well it halts without preceeding any further once the install progress bar gets to the end) and then subsequent loading of the game takes me to a black screen where nothing happens?

** Just thought I'd better edit this and make it more clear: I have to restart dosbox to load the game executable because the installer does nothing..

Reply 2 of 19, by Arnau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!,

I tried the command loadfix -126 and the game runs ok except for the lack of sound and the keyboard not working. I'm using the D-Fend frontend, with it, other numbers work, but the game does strange things (I remember that the game has a test mode, but I have no idea why the loadfix activates it); -125(hangs the computer), -128, -132 (a weird one) perhaps I am not using the correct number, -126 shows a static wizkid face.

I would be very grateful if u could help me at least in the keyboard problem.

Reply 3 of 19, by skywalka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was receiving the error message: Could not find any fixed disk's...
because I had mounted my folder as the D drive. WizKid will only work if it detects a C drive.

nugget232 wrote:

the included installer appears to crash (well it halts without preceeding any further once the install progress bar gets to the end)

This appeared to be happening to me. I left the computer for 5 minutes. When I returned there was a message stating that installation had been succesful. "Press any key to continue" or "Press F1 for help". Neither of these options would work for me. The mouse cursor changed when in DosBox so I don't think it was frozen.

nugget232 wrote:
the following is displayed in the console: […]
Show full quote

the following is displayed in the console:

Write 0 to rom at ffff9
Write 0 to rom at ffffa

and then nothing! the game just freezes.. HELP!

I get this error if I try to run the WIZKID.BAT file. Make sure you run the WIZKID\WIZKID.EXE instead with the loadfix option. You still get the errors but the game will start.

The bat file data is C:\WIZKID\WIZKID.EXE %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
Does anybody know what the %# instructions do?

If I use the "Game needs loadfix" option in D-Fend with
95Kb Unresponsive with slight glitches
97Kb glitchy
101Kb Seems to work but unresponsive.
104Kb Seems to work but unresponsive.
105Kb Seems to run but too fast.
106Kb Freezes on the Ocean logo.
107Kb Glitchy logo.
110Kb Running but unresponsive.
112Kb Glitchy.
114Kb Message: 114Kb freed.
115Kb Seems to run with slight glitch.
116Kb Seems to be running to fast.
117-8 Seems to be working but can't get anything to happen.
119-20 Buggy screen but recognizeable.
121Kb Freezes on the Ocean logo.
122Kb Buggy screen but recognizeable.
125Kb I get a lot of the "Write 0 to rom at" errors & DosBox crashes.
126Kb Seems to be working but can't get anything to happen.
128Kb Seems to work at first but has numbers in the top left corner.
129Kb Buggy screen but recognizeable.
130Kb Seems to be running to fast.
132Kb I get a Happy Birthday WizKid scene!!!
133Kb Buggy screen but recognizeable.
136Kb Intro only.
137-405Kb generates the message You must have 560k free to run this program. ###kb freed.
>406Kb maintains command prompt mode

I'm over this! If anybody wants to keep trying to test it, start at 94Kb & work your way down.

Reply 4 of 19, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
skywalka wrote:

The bat file data is C:\WIZKID\WIZKID.EXE %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
Does anybody know what the %# instructions do?

They stand for the parameters you give to the bat file at the command prompt.

For example if you say WIZKID.BAT FOO BAR BAZ at the command prompt then %1 is FOO, %2 is BAR, %3 is BAZ etc. If you don't give any parameters they are empty.

tearex

Reply 12 of 19, by Stan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was having the same problems, even when I switched to 0.65 until I reinstalled wizkid using 0.65 (said in readme for wizkid if you do major system changes {adding ram, new hdd etc} then wizkid needs reinstalling) and now it works fine! Keyboard, sound, everything 😀

This was my favorite childhood game, glad it finally works!

Reply 13 of 19, by skywalka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried reinstalling with 0.65 but the installer asks for Disk 2. I can't get past this point & I don't recall being asked for disk 2 with previous configurations. Did U do anything specific to get it working?

Reply 14 of 19, by Stan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just ran the install.exe under the default dosbox config, installed to c:\Wizkid, saying yes to decompress, then ran it. Had to tweak a couple of sound settings to get the sound working properly but apart from that I didn't do anything special.

Reply 15 of 19, by Arnau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG!!! Thank you very much! This was also my favourite childhood game. I've been searching for ages (since I have XP) and through hundreds of pages (literally) for making this great game work and finally made it. DOSBox rocks!

Well just a little clue... I managed to install it correctly by mounting my wizkid floppy disk (in A:) to A: and the HD to C:

skywalka: Try copying both disks to a High Density one (1'44 MB)

Sorry for my bad English. Bye and thanks a lot!

Reply 16 of 19, by Arnau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you managed to make sound effects work?(How?) I can hear only the music.(That Roland music is awesome)

I know it doesn't go here but well, we already have a wizkid thread here so... How do you get past level 5 with a kitty? I guess you have to give that vampire looking guy some object, but which one?

Once again excuse my bad English.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 17 of 19, by skywalka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have the original floppies. I have a file called INSTALL.EXE. I thought a file called WIZKID.2 was a post-installation file from my last installation so I didn't keep it. Turns out that is the Disk 2 that the installation is asking for.

After a succesful installation the installer states "Press any key to continue" but it is unresponsive. The game is running for me but the sfx weren't working with the default settings. After all that hassle I'm dissapointed in the game. I won't be playing it! 🙁

Reply 18 of 19, by Stan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly, to kill the vampire, you need the cross from the tree level, which you get by flying the plane and just clipping the cross on the top of the church tower.

Secondly, yes I got sound fx working using the following settings:

sbtype=sb1
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

Reply 19 of 19, by Arnau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot Stan, that and the wizaroids spaceship you can acquire before the secret room at lvl 3 (what does it do?) turned me mad every time I played it.

I have a last question: When I get the kitty (or warp) to level 9 I get this error message: "jailhouse.mid ocean." and game freezes. Anyone knows how to solve this? Or has anyone experienced the same?

Thanks in advance.