VOGONS

First post, by Aphelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone been able to play this in DOSBox? I can load the setup screen, but when it launches, it freezes... totally black screen.

Reply 1 of 12, by Arctic-Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I have.

Mount the one drive to where the game is on the hard drive. Then when mounting the CDROM, use:

mount d x:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Of course, D is just a typical letter I would assign for the CD-ROM. And just replace X with your correct drive letter. The key for me was to use the IO CTL function in order for it to launch. I even got it to use CD audio, but for some reason, having not tried this in some time, I no longer hear the music and such from the CD. Even though the drive is playing it. I'm probably overlooking something.

Well, either way. The game will work for the most part from what I understand. But there is a problem with the cutscenes in which they simply speed by. I guess this is due to the fact the game is not properly "hearing" the stuff playing off the CD to be able to synchronize to.

Reply 2 of 12, by Aphelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I gave that a shot, but nothing new happened. Then I realized I'm using Windows 98, and the -iotcl command is for 2000/XP only. I tried the -aspi command for the heck of it, and the game actually started. Too bad it's slow and has choppy sound, and definitely unplayable. 😒

Reply 3 of 12, by Arctic-Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I see. Well, I did some extensive testing. The game works fine for me. But the second cut scene freezes. I guess this one won't continue until it knows the end of the track for that one is played through. As a result, there's no playing this game until DOSBox manages to somehow relay more information from the CD-ROM that the game is looking for.

Reply 4 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like all Coktel CD gmes, it is very picky about MSCDEX. The game works fine on XP with VDMSound if you use SAPUCDEX.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 12, by Arctic-Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have yet to ever get this game to work with VDMS. (Frankly, I've had better luck in DOSBox.) Afraid SAPUCDEX doesn't even work. Perhaps you could be a little more specific than that because I may be missing something.

Reply 7 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to the DOS Environment tab in the advanced settings of your VDMS shortcut and put SAPUCDEX in the autoexec.bat window and make sure that you uncheck the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)" box. That box will try to load mscdexnt, which the Coktel games do not like.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tried this successfully on three different machines. What version of VDMS are you using? Do have sapucdex.dll and sapucdex.exe in your VDMS directory?