VOGONS

I Read all your README file but my Program IBM Filing Assistant don't run

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by apollo16

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am sorry to disturb you another time but you have answered me this: "You can already do this. Read the README.", but I have printed and readed all the README and there are not writed how I can maintain a file with its attributes HSRA (Hidden,System,Read, Archive) active in DosBox when these attributes of this file under Win2000 are already set to ON.
(The file infact is invisible to system under Win2000, but for DoxBox is visible and for this reason the Program IBM Filing Assistant don't run). Prove also you if you will want be sure that I told you.
DosBox don't respect original files attribute. It make all file visible and shows all files!!

You wrote also me:

"It's basically "dosbox executablefile.exe".
You can also make dosbox execute certain things at the start putting them in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf file. It works roughly like autoexec.bat"

Yes I can put in section "Autoexec of DosBox.Conf" certain things as you told me but if I put the command:
"attrib +h +s +r +a c:\file.sys"

your program answers me when I run it:

"Illegal command: Attrib."

and the file.sys is visible (without attribute ON) and my program for this reason don't run.

How can I do to run my old 16 bit program under Win2000 ??
I have thousand of records scheduled with this old old program. 🙁(((

Thank you very much or your help and your patience.

Andrea

Reply 1 of 5, by AAntilles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the problem is that DOSBOX doesn't have access to the ATTRIB command. With Win9x, it's located in the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND folder. Not sure where it's located with Win2000. You might have to do a search for ATTRIB.* to find it.

Once you locate this command, copy it to a folder/drive that you're mounting in DOSBOX. Do a CD\folder to wherever ATTRIB is located, or include the full path to it in your command (i.e. "C:\folder\attrib +h +s +r +a c:\file.sys")

Hope that's of some help.

Reply 2 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DosBox don't respect original files attribute. It make all file visible and shows all files!!

Yeps. There are very little games which care about system or hidden attributes. Therefore dosbox doesn't care as well. Futher It would be hard to implement on host filesystem which don't have attributes. (And no I do not like a seperate file with attributes or some nameing scheme)

But I thought this problem was fixed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!