VOGONS

First post, by R0bertNewbie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everyone.

I've been working on getting Emergency Room Intern to run, and I've tried just about everything I know. I tried VirtualBox with Windows 95, 98, and XP, and all three had errors using the Windows-based installer. Now, I'm trying DOSBox, and I could use some help.

Unfortunately, this game is a nightmare to find info on, due to its name. Even the internet doesn't seem to know that the "Intern" version of the game exists, though it appears to be a variation/re-release of the 1995 original. So far, my biggest hurdle is that the installer does a speed check on the mounted CD drive, which halts the installation. I tried "mount d d:\ -t cdrom," but that didn't affect the speed check.

If anyone could help me with the installation, I'd appreciate it. I've already spent 3 hours on all the other methods, and I'm determined to get this game working again.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I suspect it wants to check with the game CD in the drive. So do that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 4, by R0bertNewbie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. My DOSBox skills aren't extensive, but I do have the CD mounted. (The installer loads from the CD.) I can't imagine it needs more than a minute or so to do this check, but it seems to go on indefinitely.

Reply 4 of 4, by R0bertNewbie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, Ripsaw - It actually worked! I wasted so much time with those other methods, and, now, the game finally works!

For the one other person in the universe trying to get this game working, here's what I did:
1) Create a folder, place the contents of ERIFIX.zip into it.
2) Load up DOSBox v0.7.4.
3) Mount C to the new folder's directory, and mount D to the Disc Drive/CD Image with "mount D: [Disc Drive/CD Image] -t cdrom"
4) Change the directory from Z: to the C: drive. Run ERIFIX. (If it's successful, there will be no error prompt.)
5) Change directory to the D: drive, type "INSTALL" to run the DOS installer.
6) Go through the installer. Select the D: drive and let the installer create a new directory. Auto Detect the sound card and test it, then set the video mode to Standard. Select Continue, and it should finish installing without issue.
7) Run the game!

Thanks again, Ripsaw, and no thanks to Legacy Interactive for their faulty Windows installer.