VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Todays challenge is getting Emergency Room installed and running.

When using the dos installer, the program hangs at the cd-rom speed test.

I have attempted:
lowering the cycles (down to 500)
mounting the physical cd drive rather than an image (of note - I never even hear the drive spin up)

There was also an old thread that said something about installing the game using virtualpc and copying the installed files over to dosbox. On win7 pro the only function of virtualpc I could find was to launch xp mode. In xp mode it crashes when i try to set the sound card. I tried downloading and installing vdmsound and running it with that, but I got the same issue.

If I just copy all the files to the local drive and run them I get the error message "setup file error".

These are the two different mount commands I am using:
imgmount d .\games\Emergenc\cd\er.cue -t iso

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

I am not using them at the same time, I comment one out when using the other.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

There was also an old thread that said something about installing the game using virtualpc and copying the installed files over to dosbox. On win7 pro the only function of virtualpc I could find was to launch xp mode.

The thread was probably referring to downloading Virtual PC separately from Microsoft's website and then using it to install DOS in a new virtual machine (see for instance http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archiv … /02/365232.aspx ). This is not quite the same thing as XP Mode.

Whether or not this is truly necessary I cannot say. There is a highly experimental version of DOSBox with better IDE emulation that might work.
DOSBox-X branch

Reply 2 of 5, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, update:

Since the windows version crapped on on the sound card selection (and wouldn't let you go forward installing without it), I created the sound card selection in dosbox, copied that file to the virtualpc, and was able to get the game to install.

I then copied the files from virtualpc back to dosbox. It had created a file called "SETUPW.ERI" that was presumably needed.

This allows me to start the game... however I have no sound in the game. Which is odd, as the HMISET.CFG file appears to correctly identify the sound card.

[DIGITAL]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster 16
DeviceIRQ = 7
DeviceDMA = 1
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe015

Is this possibly one of those games which requires the set blaster variabl and drivers provided/defined?

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The install program wants at least one clock tick to occur when it's reading blocks of data from the cdrom, but it sees the transfer as effectively instantaneous within the DOSBox emulation, so it kind of refuses to accept that and retries endlessly.

The attached workaround program delays the block reads for a single clock tick, which prevents the installer from freaking out. Just run the program before running the installer, but restart DOSBox after installation to remove the program from memory because the delay doesn't appear to be useful during the game itself.

The sound works fine for me in 0.74 with default settings, so try installing within DOSBox using the workaround to see if that helps.

Attachments

• Filename
    ERIFIX.ZIP
    File size
    776 Bytes
    Downloads
    257 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big tnx.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).