VOGONS

First post, by bruteALEX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help me guys to run such a program under these OS!!!

I tried to run it with a Dos Box but failed - it's not work
but i get some information why it's not run - "the OS is unsuitable ... unsupported version of MS-DOS (PC-DOS)" - so why i use this DosBox if it write to me such a thing...

Help please I need it... Only Autocad 10

By the way another problem -

Fatall Error Disc(C:) is full - what such is mean - it's really not full

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Search the forum before asking repetitive queries...

Replace both AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT (in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder) from WINDOWS\REPAIR folder.

Check your system for spyware/malware/viruses.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 9, by bruteALEX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really sorry but
Sorry for my rusty English

I'm a newbie so plesae help me how to find the answer and get the search or link where it was discussed

-It's not so important if windows folder not install on disc C ?
-It's not so important if file system is NTFS ?

Reply 3 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. It shouldn't matter.
Filesystems are transparent for the end user.
Besides, almost everything is virtualised under DOSBox.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

bruteALEX, there are (hopefully) 3-4 ways that you might be able to get AutoCAD 10 to run with Windows XP.

The most obvious think to try, is the built-in DOS compatibility in WinXP. The technical term for this the is NTVDM - NT Virtual DOS Machine. The easiest way to see the NTVDM in "action" is to start COMMAND.COM (note: COMMAND.COM - not CMD.EXE). When you start it, you should see a greeting like this:

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

If you do not get this greeting, and instead get an error message that says

The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications

then you need to apply the fix described in this thread.

Once the NTVDM is working correctly, you can try to install AutoCAD from COMMAND.EXE. And if it does not work from COMMAND.COM, then there are various compatibility tweaks you can apply. For more info on this, please read:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/help … /appcompat.mspx

and

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301911

If you can get AutoCAD to work inside NTVDM, that will be the best solution for you, since the program will run really fast.

But if you can not get it to work, more drastic measures are necessary. One posibble solution is to install DOSBox and run AutoCAD inside DOSBox. DOSBox is able to work with many programs that breaks in NTVDM - but it is slow compared to NTVDM.

And finally there is the full-blown emulators: Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (US$ 130), VMWare Workstation (US$ 200), and Bochs (free). But if you go that route, you also need to add MS-DOS (US$ 20?), IBM PC-DOS, Caldera DOS or FreeDOS (free).

But it is difficult and confusing for both you and us to try solving you problem unless you focus on one of the methods (NTVDM ,DOSBox, Virtual PC, ...). I am not sure if your post here in "DOSBox Games/Apps" means that you have given up on NTVDM already, and want to use DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by bruteALEX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe the problem with swap file - ...

I've found a program shell room utility which start autocad 10 normally - in 2003 it works but in XP not - there still write that disc is full...

there are a new versions of this program but in 2003 i can't start acad...

Attachments

• Filename
    shroom.rar
    File size
    20.07 KiB
    Downloads
    192 downloads
    File comment
    it's shell room utility in 2 versions
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought I had a DOS ver of Autocad but earliest ver I have is R12 for Windows. 🙁

You may want to ask around here: http://discussion.autodesk.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

From what I've seen from people posts the DOS versions of Autocad are a PITA on today's hardware. Some people have had success with Virtual PC.

Might I suggest Autocad 2004? It's very nice. 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 9, by bruteALEX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Replace both AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT (in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder) from WINDOWS\REPAIR folder.

Check your system for spyware/malware/viruses.

2 eL_PuSHeR -
In REPAIR folder and in SYSTEM32 folder such a files equal. - I think I don't have any spyware/malware/viruses with assurance 99,9%

The most obvious think to try, is the built-in DOS compatibility in WinXP. The technical term for this the is NTVDM - NT Virtual DOS Machine. The easiest way to see the NTVDM in "action" is to start COMMAND.COM (note: COMMAND.COM - not CMD.EXE). When you start it, you should see a greeting like this:

It's really work in 2003 but in Xp i have a trouble with running command.com. I will test on my friends in XP.

I am not sure if your post here in "DOSBox Games/Apps" means that you have given up on NTVDM already, and want to use DOSBox?

Yes i want to use Dos Box But my brain is not work good 😀

Thought I had a DOS ver of Autocad but earliest ver I have is R12 for Windows.

My Autocad 10 is 1989 year copyright and Yours...

Might I suggest Autocad 2004? It's very nice.

How much it will cost in educational establishment in such not rich country Ukraine? of course it would be so nice but...

Thanks to all i hadthe result - so if i will have some questions I call you 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
bruteALEX wrote:

It's really work in 2003 but in Xp i have a trouble with running command.com. I will test on my friends in XP.

If you can not run COMMAND.COM on your Windows XP system, then something *is* wrong, and you should concentrate on fixing that problem before you try to get AutoCAD 10 to run.

Try copy the AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT files from a Windows XP system work and put them on the system that does not work.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions