VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Tandy 1000 and some other vintage beige box hardware sitting on my office desk for downtime tinkering. I'm concerned that it will begin to yellow now that it's near this large window.

I have some semi-dark curtains but a fair amount of light passes through them, and I often will have the curtains open completely.

What's my best option? Blackout curtains and never look out the window? Is there a UV protective film that can help keep this hardware from yellowing?

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your window is located on the sunny side or only receiving reflected light? Geographical location is also important. For example, if you live in Finland, I wouldn't bother much.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All glass except quartz and crystal is a pretty good UV filter, that's why those (aka lens protectors) are one of the cheapest camera accessories and part of why halogen lamps have a second layer 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by X86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have seen people tint windows on a house like you would a car window. In my game room I had a heavy duty banner made as a window covering to block light. Was from a seller on Amazon. Just sent them the image I wanted on it.

PXL_20220913_232443954.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220913_232443954.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20220914_000333332.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220914_000333332.jpg
File size