VOGONS

First post, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a dell XPS T450 currently running BIOS version A04 and I was thinking about upgrading the bios the latest version. The currently it has its stock cpu a p3 450. I was hoping to put a Pentium 2 233 to see if I could get better DOS compatibility but when I tried to boot with it installed I got nothing. After reading up a bit on other forums it looks like this motherboard should support a Pentium 2, or even a Pentium 3 up to 1GHZ with a bios update so long as the FSB is 100MHZ. So my goal would be to swap out the p3 450 with a Pentium 2 233, and potentially a Pentium 3 in the 600-900 MHZ range.

The number on the motherboard is
0005335T-12461-98A-009S
AA 722394-109

And I'm pretty sure this is the motherboard it has

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-d … -xps-t___-t___r

These are the BIOS files I could find but I have no idea if these are correct. It specifies that this bios is for the R not the T series.

Flash BIOS Update for Dell Dimension XPS R systems.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … ode=dimension-r
https://downloads.dell.com/bios/
The one I think would work from this list has the following name and is towards the bottom of the list.
10/31/2000 11:26 AM 431239 xpst_a11.exe

Do you think any of these BIOS files would work? I would hate to brick this awesome machine. Thank you so much for your time and responses.

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A quick search took me here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … ode=dimension-t
Also: not sure you can run a 66mhz bus CPU (233Mhz or 266Mhz) according to the Dell manual, lists only 100Mhz bus cpu's. The SE440BX-3 Intel Tech Prod Spec says 66Mhz or 100Mhz bus....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-11, 15:33:

A quick search took me here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … ode=dimension-t
Also: not sure you can run a 66mhz bus CPU (233Mhz or 266Mhz) according to the Dell manual, lists only 100Mhz bus cpu's. The SE440BX-3 Intel Tech Prod Spec says 66Mhz or 100Mhz bus....

Nice find! That does appear to be the same bios in the 2nd link but I would feel more comfortable using the one you found. Thank you! Also you are 100% correct. The Pentium 2 266Mhz cpu I picked up does have a fsb of 66Mhz. Looks like the slowest p2 with 100mhz fsb is the 350. I might try that. No idea if it will work better in dos but might be worth a try.

Last edited by k9cj5 on 2022-12-12, 02:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
k9cj5 wrote on 2022-12-11, 20:13:

Nice find! That does appear to be the same bios in the 2nd link but I would feel more comfortable using the one you found. Thank you! Also you are 100% correct. The Pentium 2 266Mhz cpu I picked up does have a fsb of 66Mhz. Looks like the slowest p2 with 100mhz fsb is the 350. I might try that. No idea of it will work better in dos but might be worth a try.

The file @Horun linked is the one I used to update the BIOS on my board - works fine with a 1GHz P3

Dell SE440BX-3.jpg
Filename
Dell SE440BX-3.jpg
File size
237.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to guess the SE440BX-3 behaves like the SE440BX-2. If this is the case, look at the bottom right corner-edge of the board next to the onboard speaker. There's a jumper there. You need to set that properly to install a Pentium II, first. I think it's set 1-2; move it to 2-3 (or vice versa). Install the Pentium II, power on, and a menu pops up (or it may be available in the BIOS once you enter it; I can't remember exactly as it's been a while). Select the 233MHz option. Move the jumper back to 1-2 when finished and powered down. Powerup after the jumper is back to the default position, and you should be good to go from this point forward.

Reply 5 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know ! Here is the extracted pages from 440BX-2

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 11, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-12-11, 21:15:

I'm going to guess the SE440BX-3 behaves like the SE440BX-2. If this is the case, look at the bottom right corner-edge of the board next to the onboard speaker. There's a jumper there. You need to set that properly to install a Pentium II, first. I think it's set 1-2; move it to 2-3 (or vice versa). Install the Pentium II, power on, and a menu pops up (or it may be available in the BIOS once you enter it; I can't remember exactly as it's been a while). Select the 233MHz option. Move the jumper back to 1-2 when finished and powered down. Powerup after the jumper is back to the default position, and you should be good to go from this point forward.

I dont know if I tried this or not when I installed the p2 266 the first time. Do think its worth tryin again? Or will this board only work with 100MHZ fsb cpus's? Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Reply 7 of 11, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-12-11, 20:37:
k9cj5 wrote on 2022-12-11, 20:13:

Nice find! That does appear to be the same bios in the 2nd link but I would feel more comfortable using the one you found. Thank you! Also you are 100% correct. The Pentium 2 266Mhz cpu I picked up does have a fsb of 66Mhz. Looks like the slowest p2 with 100mhz fsb is the 350. I might try that. No idea of it will work better in dos but might be worth a try.

The file @Horun linked is the one I used to update the BIOS on my board - works fine with a 1GHz P3

Dell SE440BX-3.jpg

[/quote]
[/quote]

The E139761 number near the cmos battery matches mine and the layout is the same. So its a SE440BX-3. Good to know. Also thanks for letting me know that bios also worked for you. Question, did you get your on board audio to work? The onboard Yamaha YMF724F-V seems like it would pair nicely with native opl3 support but I cant seem to get mine going. Wondering if you had any luck with yours.

Reply 8 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
k9cj5 wrote on 2022-12-12, 03:01:

I dont know if I tried this or not when I installed the p2 266 the first time. Do think its worth tryin again? Or will this board only work with 100MHZ fsb cpus's? Thanks again for everyone's responses.

That depends how badly you want to run with a Pentium II. It doesn't hurt anything and takes a few minutes, otherwise.

Reply 9 of 11, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the entire set of drivers for your Dimension XPS T___ series as the list contains hardware that might match your computer; this would reduce the chance of misidentifying your model.

I found driver for Number Nine Motion 771 (S3 Vision968) of 1995 and BIOS of 1996 for my Dimension XPS P___c MDT (bought in 1995 and currently the oldest functioning computer in my collection) on their website; I have to give Dell a thumb up for archiving so many drivers for their legacy products. The only other company maintaining a similar database is Lenovo / IBM.

Reply 10 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
k9cj5 wrote on 2022-12-12, 03:01:

Yes I would try it, follow the instructions in the 440BX-2 pdf . Do not flash the BIOS before trying it. Some times they remove older CPU support to add newer.

k9cj5 wrote on 2022-12-12, 03:03:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-12-11, 20:37:

Dell SE440BX-3.jpg

The E139761 number near the cmos battery matches mine and the layout is the same. So its a SE440BX-3. Good to know. Also thanks for letting me know that bios also worked for you. Question, did you get your on board audio to work? The onboard Yamaha YMF724F-V seems like it would pair nicely with native opl3 support but I cant seem to get mine going. Wondering if you had any luck with yours.

Others here also have had trouble with the on-board audio. Seems the YMF724F-V is more for "add-on" PCI cards than built-in. Check this topic:
SE440BX-3 YMF724F-V 98SE driver refuses to install
I did not see the Yamaha driver in the list from Dell for your model. Not sure why..
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/produ … nsion-t/drivers

Reply 11 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2022-12-12, 03:50:

Check the entire set of drivers for your Dimension XPS T___ series as the list contains hardware that might match your computer; this would reduce the chance of misidentifying your model.

I found driver for Number Nine Motion 771 (S3 Vision968) of 1995 and BIOS of 1996 for my Dimension XPS P___c MDT (bought in 1995 and currently the oldest functioning computer in my collection) on their website; I have to give Dell a thumb up for archiving so many drivers for their legacy products. The only other company maintaining a similar database is Lenovo / IBM.

Agree !! They still have drivers/stuff for my Vostro 1500 laptop last time I checked.