VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's been a lot written about the efficacy of retrobrighting, whether it's worth it, potential damage to plastics, etc.

In digging around on this subject, I came across a post at VCFED:

I have mentioned this on other posts, by far the better method to correct the yellowing is to re-coat the surface with a protective layer. But of course everyone's first thought is, what ? Paint, it will ruin everything and flake off.

Well it will not if the right kind of paint is used, because it chemically reacts with the surface and etches its way into the surface in the minutes before it dries (yes minutes). It then creates a new plastic surface, just as durable and scratch resistant as the original surface, Plus you can select the shade of white or off white you require for a perfect match to the original. The paint that works in this mode for all vintage computer plastics is Holts Duplicolor, a fast drying automotive lacquer. Even if the original plastic surface was textured, it still works with a thin coat and the texture remains. When you scratch the surface you will find it has "becomes one" with the original material and doesn't sit as a layer waiting to flake off.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/ret … ly.75417/page-2

I've been long curious about painting cases. I've done a little bit of minor airbrushing one case to hide some cosmetic repairs to the plastic. This was using acrylic model paint which worked fine, but obviously wouldn't the durability of lacquer paint.

I don't think I've seen any examples of airbrushing cases. All examples I've seen of painting cases involve spray painting. However, spray painting limits the color options and risks applying paint too thick eliminating underlying texture. With airbrushing one can control both the color mix and apply thinly layer coats to preserve texture. The idea of lacquer paint bonding with the surface in a way to effectively add protection is also appealing.

I'm curious if anyone here has attempted airbrushing and in particular using lacquer paints. I have a couple older, damaged cases that I might use as a test material for this.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 10, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been down the painting route several times with various levels of success.

Depending on the type of case, material, surface, exact color, etc.... I have had some good success at keeping the "Retro" look as long as I'm willing to paint the whole case.

In some special cases I've had some limited success in "partial" touch ups as well, but there are tons of variables.

Out of everything "off the shelf" the best spray paint that I've found so far is a specialty "chalked" color from Rustoleum.
(Attached here)

But as always... Be careful and TEST. Mileage may vary.....

Attachments

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds like a good paint to try. Krylon makes a special paint for plastics that might also work well, thought they may not make a soft off white/beige.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Done a couple of household things with Krylon rattle cans and they went on pretty good and came out okay.

What I actually miss is a cheap (own?) brand Walmart had about 7 or 8 years ago, unbelievable coverage and self flattening, by that I mean I painted crap with them and it looked like the factory did it. In particular I did a low effort "winter rims" respray for a relative's car, and only cleaned them, wire brushed them and rattle canned them, and it went on amazing and hid all the minor pits and scratches. They still looked good 2 years later when she wrote it off, best looking wheels on a wreckers flatbed 🤣 Had very limited colors for $3 a can though. Black, white, red, blue, green, yellow or something like that. Might have been "Paint It!" brand.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 10, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read my last post in that thread (tipc). You dom't have to spray anything. You already have to thin the paint if using an airbrush, thin it down to nearly milk consistency, then swab it on with a disposable foam brush. This works very well on metals with oil based paints like Rustoleum. But it's glossy as all hell. Haven't tried it with acrylics of any sort. Or latex for that matter. Latex is plenty durable. I'm sitting on over 1500$ of high quality artist acrylics, fluids and "heavy body" (tube paint), and am getting to the point where I'll actually try it 😳

I don't recommend rattle cans, even though I like Rustoleum. Krylon is watery and doesn't last like the big R. They do sell matte (flat) and satin finish in rattle cans. But if you go the extra mile you can blend colors to yoir heart's content with lidded cans. Blending colors takes patience and skill though. You can experiment with craft paints, but they vary enormously in quality, some are horrible and don't take thinning at all. Some aren't so bad. The absolute very best that I've seen are Delta Ceramcoat. Or you can get better quality Novacolor or Golden Soflats. Both are fluids. You can sometimes find a basic Soflat on eBay for under 30$.

Avoid Testors acrylics. It's actually unbelievable, but they're made by Rustoleum for Testors, 2 old reputable companies. But they suck in terms of coverage. I watched this dumpkopf on YouTube and nearly soiled myself ordering 2 sets from Menards (and it had to be shipped, ain't got Menards around here). It's garbage paint. The colors look nice, especially on the glossy "swatch" they stick to the package. But very disappointing.

Reply 5 of 10, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is something I'm looking into for some of my stuff. For "generic" AT(X) case frontplates, any suitable beige or off-white color would do, though matching it to the painted metal shell is still best. Cases with raised or lowered lettering are the easiest as they won't lose it under the paint, provided you don't paint it too thick (but painting it that thick would make it look like crap anyway).

I do want to check out the options for printed lettering, maybe something like water-slide decals would work, and would be able to be coated over for protection. That could potentially make it viable for certain CRT monitors with some printed decals that aren't too complex to recreate. But first, I'd really want to set up a good paint booth of sorts, and get a bunch of practice in first!

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 6 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DIY waterslide goes like:

Get some paper that has the adhesive that you wet to activate, lick and stick, like stamps used to be. Put a couple of coats of clear lacquer on it, cellulose based was the go to, shellac maybe also... print what you want on top of this, with a water-fast ink, some ink/bubble jets will run, put two coats of lacquer on top of this... cut it out, float off in a bowl of barely warm water and apply.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've painted one of my cases in white. Mostly due to big scratches, bumps and rust strains.

It can give good results, but needs patience. Several layers of spray paint. Proper drying between layers. Masking the feature you don't want to be painted. Honestly I'm not good at spray painting but it was the last resort for this computer case. As period correct cases are hard to find, i didn't wanted to send it to trash.

The picture kind of exaggerate the paint defects and it looks better in daylight.

The power button is not the original one. This is why it looks weird.

I consider this as a moderately bad result and you should be able to have better results

Attachments

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 8 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My painting experience 😀

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 9 of 10, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 486 I brought a while ago... I was looking at the ad thinking like... hmm, it did not yellow... Or the seller did actually retrobright it... I look clean... Buy...

2 days later... Oh noooo, it's paint... How i'm supposed to remove that now...

IMG_20230124_163335.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230124_163335.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File comment
oh noooo, it's paint!!
File license
Public domain

The paint color do match the original color (that I can confirm when I look inside the computer) but there some place that are not painted...

Reply 10 of 10, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rav wrote on 2023-08-08, 20:34:

The 486 I brought a while ago... I was looking at the ad thinking like... hmm, it did not yellow... Or the seller did actually retrobright it... I look clean... Buy...

2 days later... Oh noooo, it's paint... How i'm supposed to remove that now... IMG_20230124_163335.jpg

The paint color do match the original color (that I can confirm when I look inside the computer) but there some place that are not painted...

If it looks good as-is I'd roll with it the way it is.....