VOGONS

First post, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given the lack of information regarding the 486SLC3 would anyone be interested in determining its pinout?

I have an NOS 486SLC3-60 upgrade module that is in perfect condition. I am certain it is indeed a genuine 486SLC3 upgrade module as the stickers attached to it say: FCC ID:ANDIBM486SLC3, IBM FRU: 61G2099, P/N: 61G2093. The processor itself is a QFP-132, it is marked 63G9558. I'm also fairly certain it is actually a 25/75 MHz that is just downclocked.

I would be happy to lend it out to a trustworthy and well established member of the community for the purpose of the pinout being definitively determined so that the information can be made available to the public. I strongly believe in information being available to all. If you're interested, please let me know. I have been wanting to fill this gap in the knowledge of the IBM SLC3 processors for some time.

Reply 1 of 5, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This page here says the SCL3 (16bit) is a DLC (32bit) chip except with the extra address pins disabled.

"All known instances of 486SLC3 CPUs are reportedly in the 132pin PQFP packaging with the extra address lines not connected (a 486BL3 running in 16-bit mode)"
https://alchetron.com/IBM-386SLC

Not sure where the knowledge comes from or is 100%, but it makes sense.

Reply 3 of 5, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2024-03-29, 07:48:

Pinout is the same as 386dx.
link

It can't be that simple. The 386DX has no pins assigned to A20, Flush, Ken, Barb, etc... without those cache coherency and control aren't possible. So, at a minimum, some of the N/C pins are assigned to those functions. Are the differences between the 386DX pinout and the SLC3 documented anywhere? If those differences are documented somewhere, that is all that is needed to complete the understanding of the SLC3 pinout. However, to the best of my knowledge, this isn't available anywhere.

Reply 4 of 5, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i know. it sounds improbable on first read but thats ok. couple of us walked that path already.
if you flip through the same thread you will see what i mean.
there is another thread by @Feipoa that contains very good info as well.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 5 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't look into the SLC3 specifically, but rather looked into the DLC3, or BL3. It was determined that a QFP 386DX could be removed from a PGA interposer and a BL3 installed. I didn't come up with this idea, but rather first saw an eBay listing (~3 years ago) for such a conversion and decided to investigate.

My rendition of the adaption is here: Re: Creating a voltage regulated 386 BL3 module from existing parts I decided to down regulate the voltage and add filtering caps. It was a straight one-to-one pin fitment, I put no thought into cache invalidation. The adaption just works as far as I can tell. I now have a whole system setup around this adaption.

Unfortunately, these DLC3 chips are hard to come buy and expensive.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.