VOGONS

First post, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ISA modems.

I have a feeling that there may be people with lots of them because of buying lots of stuff/scrap/complete PCs for a few parts etc.
I know - there were multiple topics which tried to answer "how can I use them nowadays".

Easy solutions are:
- use as intended - connect to existing phone line and then to the Web (boring, expensive and in the most cases impossible)
- use as intended but build your own ISP as a bridge to the modern broadband (nice excercise)
- modem-to-modem connection to transfer data (personally, I didn't tested it yet)

What I love in the retro PC community is the "hack it" approach.
- Network cards with XT-IDE roms acting as a second, better BIOS
- Music cards via LPT and special drivers to push the data there to unlock the sound capabilities on the old laptops
- Software emulators, like SBEMU to emulate SB on AC97

Small discussion starter from me: I wonder if it would be possible to play sound with ISA modems and some fancy custom TSR/drivers?

If you have any ideas/examples/proof of concepts how to use the "unnecessary" cards in a clever way - share and inspire!

Last edited by seleryba on 2024-05-07, 23:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seleryba wrote on 2024-05-06, 14:15:

Small discussion starter from me: I wonder if it would be possible to play sound with ISA modems and some fancy custom TSR/drivers?

No technical reason why not. It IS designed to create sound waves after all.
The quality is likely going to be crap due to the restricted audible range of phone lines limiting the modulator.
IIRC ~50-8000hz

The only reason to do something like that is because you can.
There's no other discernible benefit and literally every other solution will be superior in every way.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 2 of 11, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

POTS simulators are not that hard to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8xOpIFWfZg&l … igLQh1viLgSvlCM

(Happy watching!)
(not my vids)

He has a github with a developed interface.

https://github.com/GadgetReboot/Phone_SLIM

Last edited by wierd_w on 2024-05-06, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
myne wrote on 2024-05-06, 15:15:

The only reason to do something like that is because you can.
There's no other discernible benefit and literally every other solution will be superior in every way.

I fully agree - it is just for fun. Like maths equations as an exercise or sudoku. Because we can. 😄

wierd_w wrote on 2024-05-06, 15:43:

More interesting still, would be abusing the FSK tone generators to produce chiptunes.

Nice idea. And some special tracker software for that.

Reply 5 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny enough, I think I've only ever come across 1 ISA modem. Plenty of PCI of course.
I'm more interested in external modems with their hypnotizing flashing lights.

I do plan to do this mini POTS setup, mainly for wacky wheels multiplayer (only supports modem/serial) and maybe mess around with some server type stuff
https://youtu.be/EGFIEF6siIE?si=aWWea14j0akbACve

wierd_w wrote on 2024-05-06, 15:43:

That aside-- if you ask me, ABUSING a modem into acting like a soundcard, would be more interesting.

More interesting still, would be abusing the FSK tone generators to produce chiptunes.

I think this is more in keeping of what the OP is talking about, and kind of like the idea as well

Reply 6 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stick these number strings in text files with an ATDT in front and pipe it to the serial port.... might need massaging with commas for pauses/timing. https://dumb.com/touchtones/

I would like to make more use of the digital sound capabilities of voice modems though, they seem a bit wasted normally.

Edit: might be AT0H or something with no phoneline connected, rusty on the hayes command set and learnt it piecemeal so always forgetting and remembering it in dribs and drabs.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2024-05-08, 14:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 11, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was meaning more along the lines of data transmission mode fsk, not dtmf.

The fact that it CAN do dtmf, means it can make 2 simultaneous tones. If it can make 3, we have enough to make chiptunes.

It would probably require flashing a new firmware to the modem though...

Reply 8 of 11, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love what The Serial Port is doing with their retro ISP setup. Wouldn’t be too hard to add that kinda kit into my rack so my retro PCs can access retro services.

https://youtube.com/@theserialport?si=xP945KezKpnF_0EU

Reply 10 of 11, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2024-05-07, 06:34:

If you wanted to do that sort of stuff you'd probably be after a PCI modem. All the ISA modems I've seen only expose themselves as bog standard serial ports.

Since the modem galore "problem" fits even more to the PCI ones, I've changed the topic to extend the ideas list. Thanks

Reply 11 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "Hardware" modems might just look like a PCI bridge and a serial port still. Theoretically a winmodem is a programmable DSP kinda thing though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.