the unofficial BIOS

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asrock … 5dual-vsta#bios

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 703 of 716, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Win9x starts having issues when more than 512MB of RAM are installed, getting worse the more you have. It also doesn't support HDDs >137GB. Both can be worked around, but for troubleshooting it's easiest to simply use smaller components so the suggestion does make sense. But feel free to ignore it, it's not our time wasted.

Reply 704 of 716, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows ME works fine without issues with 1 GB of RAM and with R. Loew's patches it works with even more. Those damn old versions of nvidia drivers do not work with 1 GB and more RAM. I wonder if it is the same with other motherboards/chipsets and how is it with RAM between 512-1024 MB (for example 768 MB)?

Reply 705 of 716, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is pretty strange. The issue in not on the RAM side but on nvidia side here (GPU/driver). Quadro2 Pro works no problem on this motherboard with all driver versions that support it (5.32 and up, so that includes 45.23) with 1GB of RAM, 2GB of RAM and even 3GB of RAM (and even those not-full 4GB but with newest drivers only). But NV28 and high-end NV3x do not boot to Windows starting with 1GB of RAM with 31.40-45.23 drivers. Sadly I have no NV20 and NV25 to test. But RAM is not the issue. Nvidia is the issue. If RAM was the issue then Quadro2 Pro would not work with 1GB (and more) of RAM with 45.23 driver. But Quadro2 Pro easily works with 3GB of RAM with 45.23 driver. Nvidia is the issue.

Reply 706 of 716, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like I wrote before it makes no fucking sense. Actually everything under Windows 9x/ME makes no fucking sense (with this motherboard/chipset). Now when I made Quadro2 Pro to work with 45.23 with high RAM (3GB) on this motherboard, I turned off the PC, removed Quadro2 Pro and inserted GeForce4 Ti 4200 (NV28) and tadam it now works with 45.23 with 3GB of RAM (which makes no fucking sense). I even run 3DMark 2001 with it with no problems/issues. It makes no fucking sense. I have no fucking idea what is going on. When I made perfect clean installation of Windows 9x/ME, chipset drivers, restart and then nvidia drivers (31.40-45.23) in every possible combination of chipset drivers and nvidia drivers it was never able to boot to any Windows 9x/ME. But now when I just swapped the cards from Quadro2 Pro (after I made it to work on/with 45.23) to GeForce4 Ti 4200 (NV28) with the unclean(i)est (various drivers installs and uninstalls and every official and unofficial update and Service Pack installed) possible OS it just work like that with 45.23 and high RAM. I have been trying to make it work with high RAM for months with those clean installs. And now with unclean(i)est install and various drivers/GPU swaps it just work without valid reason to work. What is going on? Did any/one of those official or/and unofficial updates or/and Service Packs "fixed" something (without me knowing it) later when I installed it and because of it this driver and GPU and high RAM combo works? If yes, then which (official/unofficial) update/Service Pack? If not, then what the fuck is going on here?

Reply 707 of 716, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well definitely your Quadro 2 pro is becoming more and more legendary in this forum. You complain that it's troubling with the great 440bx, now you complain again that's problematico with this chipset, could you try to consider that maybe the problem lies in this so much loved Quadro 2 pro, instead of blaming random hardware pieces which are also known to be great?

Reply 708 of 716, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd be comparing the inf files for differences in the reg keys added for the quadro.

Then comparing those with the current registry.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install

Reply 709 of 716, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2024-05-19, 09:32:

Well definitely your Quadro 2 pro is becoming more and more legendary in this forum. You complain that it's troubling with the great 440bx, now you complain again that's problematico with this chipset, could you try to consider that maybe the problem lies in this so much loved Quadro 2 pro, instead of blaming random hardware pieces which are also known to be great?

I never complained that Quadro2 Pro is problematic with this chipset/motherboard! Quadro2 Pro works totally fine! They are clearly not so great. And they are clearly not so great because you said so. In your point of view they are so great that it can't be their fault. You think it is every other part fault but not those "great" chipsets/motherboards. All hail great chipsets, huh? Even those great chipsets have faults.

Last edited by Snover on 2024-05-19, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: violates community standards

Reply 710 of 716, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let me quote what you stated:

Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-05-19, 09:00:

Like I wrote before it makes no fucking sense. Actually everything under Windows 9x/ME makes no fucking sense (with this motherboard/chipset). Now when I made Quadro2 Pro to work with 45.23 with high RAM (3GB) on this motherboard, I turned off the PC, removed Quadro2 Pro and inserted GeForce4 Ti 4200 (NV28) and tadam it now works with 45.23 with 3GB of RAM (which makes no fucking sense).

So the Geforce works fine with 3gb of ram, while you stunning Quadro2pro has quirks. The same quirks you complain about with the 440bx, I'd suggest you to study the story of computer a bit more as I did earlier. Intel was the main developer of AGP protocol, it's quite hard to say that the implementation was buggy\flaky, which instead happened on the first generations of other chipsets developer (VIA just to mention one). Sure the agp version of 440bx is the AGP 1.0, which officially supports v3.3 cards and it has agp settings of 2x or 1x. The quadro 2pro which you are so enthusiast about is an agp universal card, which means it's an agp version 3.0. So it's definitely possible that it has quirks with older motherboards, does this make the older motherboard flaky? Sorry but I don't think so, it may be that those 2 pieces of hardware can't cope together, then you test the video card with another motherboard, you claim it has problems with specific drivers but when you swap with a more appropriate card everything works fine... definitely on 2 platforms different issues with the same video card, how can you think the problem lies on the motherboard? It's just logical thinking.
On the other hand is notorious that those dual slot motherboards (pci ex and agp), may have issues with specific video cards, it also has been discussed in the past on this topic.

I can understand you are very young and aggressive but let me suggest you to study a bit more, it will surely help with your issues more than being aggressive.

Last edited by Snover on 2024-05-19, 16:31. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove personal attacks from other user

Reply 713 of 716, by Imperator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
Guys i am kinda out of options.
My system is composed of : ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2 R20, 2x2GB DDR, Intel X6800, Zalman Cooler , Nvidia 7900 GTO PCIe, SoundBlaster Live 5.1. PSU - Seasonic 620, SSD AData 240GB, DVD RW IDE - NEC 3530A
I started to install first a Win98 SE on it. Everything went smooth. I received a yellow mark on IDE controller but that was expected. i installed VIA 4in1 drivers, i installed Nvidia 82.69 drivers (modded) and after all i installed DX9c for win 98.
I tested the system in 3Dmark 2001SE and i obtained 35710 points.
After that i made another partition and i installed win XP SP3 . I don't know what was wrong (i don't bother to search now) that i facked up the win98 partition.
I tested the system also in XP and all were perfect.
I decided to reinstall Win98 SE. Well at this point all my problems started.
I received many yellow marks all related to VIA chipset. After 2 days of forum readings i noticed that i must enable in BIOS the RAID and after that all those marks were solved.
BUT...here comes my problem. I wanted to install Nvidia drivers for the card to work again. Surprise : i receive a strange error "Setup was unable to locate any Nvidia graphics chips on this system" What ??? i thought i don't see right.
I turned the computer off, i took the card from the slot, i cleaned the slot and PCI blade with a rubber and isopropylic alcohol. Reinserted it in place. Still same error.
Please enlight me what i am doing wrong. I miss something in the process.
I attach 3 photos with 3Dmark2001 SE result in Win98SE + Win XP SP3 + Error at driver installation

Attachments

PC no1: - Intel STL2 G7ESZ Dual Socket 370 Motherboard + 2 x Pentium III 933MHz CPU + 512 MB Ram
PC no2: - ECS K7VTA3 Socket 462 + Athlon XP 2600 + 1GB RAM + 3dfx VooDoo 5 5500 AGP 64MB
PC no3: - ASrock 775i65G v2.03 + Intel QX6700 + 2GBRAM + ATI HD3850

Reply 714 of 716, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like the drivers aren't modded.
To check, read the inf file and look for your card.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install

Reply 715 of 716, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperator wrote on Today, 06:17:

Nvidia 7900 GTO PCIe

Try with modded 77.72 forceware from RayeR
nVidia Forceware driver 77.72 patch for 512MB VGAs

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 716 of 716, by Imperator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thanks for the fast reply.
In my case the driver is patched. I checked before making this post, so i won't be a fool.
I attach the picture from Nvagp.inf that contains my model.
on the other hand i also suspected that the driver itself is not good.
But the one @Bruno128 provided is not there, i mean the link is dead and i don't find it anywhere else.

Attachments

PC no1: - Intel STL2 G7ESZ Dual Socket 370 Motherboard + 2 x Pentium III 933MHz CPU + 512 MB Ram
PC no2: - ECS K7VTA3 Socket 462 + Athlon XP 2600 + 1GB RAM + 3dfx VooDoo 5 5500 AGP 64MB
PC no3: - ASrock 775i65G v2.03 + Intel QX6700 + 2GBRAM + ATI HD3850