VOGONS

Did UMC ever make DRAM?

Topic actions

First post, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking at making an all-UMC build: processor, chipset, SRAM, super I/O, VGA, but I can't find any DRAM by them.

Did UMC ever make 30-pin FPM DRAM?

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think they made DRAMs in that time or we would be seeing them very commonly. But they certainly did DRAMs at some point, there appears to have been a lawsuit involving UMC stealing design from Micron, in not so distant past but this won't help with the problem at hand 🤣.

All UMC build is a thing I'd like to do aswell. Unfortunately UMC also never made any PC sound chips and their VLB video chips are not exactly common either, these are the two things I am missing for my build. There are modems with UMC chips but that isn't quite a sound card though 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't think of a soundcard yet, I just assumed that would be a stretch from their core business to something with FM. I didn't know they made a modem, that is something interesting.

DRAM seems to be a close thing to SRAM that the did indeed make.

Oh well. I thought I would ask.

Reply 3 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UMC built a lot of their own and ic's for others until 1995. Dram chips from Vitelic or Mosel before 1996 is most likely made by UMC but not labeled as UMC. They did make SRAM with their own label.....
According to wiki MediaTek was part of UMC until 1997, if you find a sound card with a MediaTek chip dated before 1997 it would be UMC though have never had one personally AFAIK...
Added: have read diff accounts of who made the MediaiVision PAS ASIC chips in early-mid 1990's and it is possible it was UMC.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UMC the foundry 100% manufactured ram at some point, if not fully commercially then to hone fabs capabilities.
UMC design house? There is very little margin in RAM, UMC engineers mainly did value add products.

Tiido wrote on 2024-05-21, 03:12:

All UMC build is a thing I'd like to do aswell. Unfortunately UMC also never made any PC sound chips

UMC was trying to avoid more lawsuits at this point in time. They are the original source of famiclone chipsets https://www.upi.com/Archives/1994/01/11/Ninte … /9249758264400/), and its highly likely they cloned Toshiba 386 chipset Identifying PCChips 386 era chipsets. After lawsuits they span clones into smaller companies. Its possible Princeton Tech (PTC) cloned Yamaha OPL2/OPL3 chips were build in UMC fabs, and maybe even joint designed Re: Master Boomer J5QMF-00 Sound Card

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, they did lot of stuff for other companies so that is a way to get UMC in spirit for the parts that were not actually branded as such 🤣.

I am familiar with their productions toward pirate market, and in form of unbranded stuff too for other companies, i.e There's a clone chipset for Mega Drives with SE-9x markings. Those are UMC manufactured parts (and they seem to outperform japanese made original parts, lower noise better overclockability etc.). It isn't particularly difficult to identify UMC manufactured chips, like others, they also have distinct font and package features.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜