VOGONS

First post, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to try to upgrade the hardware in one of my machines in order to increase performance. I have long suspected that Unreal's framerate is being hurt by my CPU, and I also do not like how this is affecting performance.

I have an Intel LT430TX board, currently running with a 233 MHz Pentium MMX. As far as I can tell, this is as good as it gets for this board, as it does not support the lower voltages required by the K6-2 and other faster Socket 7 chips. Am I correct?

Assuming this is correct, what type of board and CPU should I look for? The machine runs Windows 98, and is used for DOS and early Windows gaming.

Reply 2 of 6, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Get a Slot 1 440BX board. With an unlocked PII 233 you can underclock it for speed-critical DOS games, while on the other side you can go up to PIII 1000 without any adapters.

I don't think underclocking should be necessary (unless there's something speed-critical that works with a 233 MHz Pentium MMX?), since I have a slower machine for that stuff. I just want something that would give me the highest compatibility.

Here's the hardware in the machine, just to give you a better idea of what I'm working with:
200 W PSU (I'm thinking this might be a problem for upgrades)
256 MB RAM
Nvidia Riva TNT
3dfx Voodoo 2
Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 with NEC XR385 daughterboard
Sound Blaster 16 (see this thread for the reason for this)

Reply 3 of 6, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Get a Slot 1 440BX board. With an unlocked PII 233 you can underclock it for speed-critical DOS games, while on the other side you can go up to PIII 1000 without any adapters.

You won't be able to use a PIII 1000 on every 440BX motherboard, since not every motherboard can supply the required voltages (Klamaths used 2.8V, Deshutess and Katmais ~2.0V and Coppermines ~1.7V) - many early 440BX have voltage regulators which don't support 1.7V.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 6, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is why I wrote "up to". Katmai should work in most boards and is already enough to play Unreal nicely. Most likely better than any K6.

Early boards aren't worth messing around with for other reasons anyway. Some of them have iffy AGP voltage regulators. May or may not matter depending on video card choice of course...