VOGONS

voodoo and sli

Topic actions

First post, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

will a voodoo in sli work just fine with a Pentium mmx? I read the sli on that platform isn't very good so am i better off with just one voodoo 2 card?

Reply 1 of 23, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo2 SLI should work just fine, it would just be kind of a waste. An MMX processor can't really max out a single V2, let alone two, but it will let you play at 1024x768

Reply 3 of 23, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For an MMX? Any good 2D card will do. S3 Virge or Trio64 are popular due to great compatibility with DOS games, Matrox Millenium cards are popular due to great analog output quality and speed (but suffer from poor compatibility), and you can always try later stuff like some Riva TNT/TNT2, which would be a waste but who cares? xD

Reply 4 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

An MMX processor can't really max out a single V2, let alone two, but it will let you play at 1024x768

Why a faster system is needed instead of P1-MMX. If you want to have Voodoo on the system, I propose Voodoo1.
Save V2-Sli for a system like P-II-400, K6-2-500, as the minimum requirement's.

cnpr wrote:

ok will I need a 2d video card too? if so, what is a good choice of card.

Yes. You need a 2D card. Get something like an S3 or Matrox Millenium for that, on a P1-MMX

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As had been said a voodoo1 is a great match on a mmx system, voodo1 is maxxed out with something like a p2-300 (more or less)

Voodoo2(sli) is perfect for a fast p3 system. However, since the v2 is a little bit easier on the cpu it will always be faster compared to the v1, nomatter what cpu is used. 1024x768 is a big plus for sli but i doubt your cpu can do much games at that resolution. Overclocking to 250mhz (3x83mhz fsb) will give you better performance out of the mmx. 3,5x 83mhz can be done on some cpu's stable.

This depends ofcourse on your board and which mmx cpu you use and what the multiplier is, or wether it is a locked or unlocked multiplier. 200mmx for example can do 250mhz no problem.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 23, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

4mb is the standard amount for Voodoo1, and is the most compatible one of the bunch. A Voodoo1 won't be stellar for 98/99 games, for example, but neither will a Pentium MMX.

Reply 9 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Voodoo2(sli) is perfect for a fast p3 system. However, since the v2 is a little bit easier on the cpu it will always be faster compared to the v1, nomatter what cpu is used. 1024x768 is a big plus for sli but i doubt your cpu can do much games at that resolution.

Wouldn't this make the Voodoo 2 with 8MB RAM a lot more useful? A couple of mine came with only 8MB (edit: Just checked my list and all are 12MB except for 1. Thought I had more but this is ok too 😀 ), but if it can do basically anything what a Voodoo 1 can do, but faster, this would make a logical choice. However, I do remember there being a couple games that had troubles running on anything but a Voodoo 1 (perhaps it could partially be remedied by patches, but I don't remember).

cnpr wrote:

I would get a voodoo 1 but those things are around 75 dollars or highers. I just now saw one for roughly 22 dollars. it has 4mb or v ram it that good enough almost anything in the 90s.

Ehh...what? These used to be very cheap until recently though. Though Voodoo 3 AGP had always remained a bit cheaper as well

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-01-27, 23:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cnpr wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

/\ There are some statically linked DOS games that won't work with the Voodoo2 even with the environment variables.

what is statically linked for dos game? first I heard of it.

MW2 for one.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 23, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it will work but it will be a waste, I recently set up an V2 SLI config (12mb each) on a PPro200 machine and the difference between a single and SLI setup was under 5 frames in alot of cases.

Reply 14 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vetz has a compatibility matrix going on here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix
Only four such DOS titles left which won't work with V2.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 15 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cnpr wrote:

I would get a voodoo 1 but those things are around 75 dollars or highers. I just now saw one for roughly 22 dollars. it has 4mb or v ram it that good enough almost anything in the 90s.

If you know were to look, it can be found as low as 14/15 US Dollars.
Including cable and driver-cd. (shipping excluded in the price)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 23, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

where? I am planning on buying one this evening. from there only thing i need is a 2d card for a decent price. thinking about leaning to a riva tnt 2 pci. I saw one for 10 dollars on ebay. I have rave pro turbo but I think the bios could be bad. I have a thread on that if any one can provide the bios for it.

Last edited by cnpr on 2016-01-28, 01:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

vetz has a compatibility matrix going on here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix
Only four such DOS titles left which won't work with V2.

Thanks for posting the link! I know there was a compatibility matrix but didn't know where it exactly was. Looks like I don't have any of the games that won't work on V2 so I shouldn't have too many problems. Still think I will be using V1 as I basically have no other use for them anyway 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!